The Phone Call

"You look like crap, mon ami." Francis poked Gil in the cheek. "Did somezing 'appen while you were dropping mon petite frère off?"
"Nein. Vhy vould jou zhink zhat?"
"Because, mon ami, I know you." Francis smiled.
Antonio chuckled to himself and plucked another tortilla chip from the bowl in the middle of the coffee table.
"I'm fine Francis."
"Oh really?"
Thankfully, Gilbert's phone rang to interrupt the conversation.
"Hallo. Zhe awesome Gilbert here!" He answered with his usual cheerfulness.
"G-Gil?" A tiny voice croaked.
"Birdie? Is somezing wrong?"
"Is zhat mon petite Matthieu?" Francis reached for the phone but Gilbert smacked him away.
"I'm calling to say goodbye." His voice was panicked and Gilbert could hear screaming in the background.
"Birdie? Bi-Matthew? Hallo?" Gil screamed into the phone. "Vhat's happening? Speak to me!"
Francis stopped grabbing at the phone and was now completely still. His eyes widened and his face paled.
There was no reply to his question. In fact, the screaming had stopped. The connection was dead.
"Gilbert, tell me what 'appened to mon frère." Francis grasped onto Gilbert's shoulders, shaking him in panic.
"I-I don't know...I..." He folded himself over, burying his face in his hands. "He called...to say...goodbye."