Rain

Rain and thunder bashed the earth that night, preventing Gilbert from falling asleep.
What was worse was the pounding coming from just outside. he wasn't sure if it was just the result f the rain or something worse.
It's probably nozhing, Gil. Go to sleep.
Gött. The bed smelled just like him. That sweet and smoky scent was overpowering in a good way. It was almost as if Mattie was right there next to him.
Eventually the rain stopped and Gil rolled over to look at the time.
Nine thirty.
Gil hadn't slept a wink.
"Hey, Francis," he called after knocking on the wall behind the bed, the one between Francis and Matthew's room.
"What is it, mon ami?" Francis mumbled.
"I'm going to head home now."
"Mhm." Gilbert guessed that Francis had his face in his pillow. "Au revoir."
Gilbert tiptoed down the stairs and toward the door, gasping when he got it open.
Something...somebody was lying on the doorstep.
"Matthew?!"
The person didn't react. He just stayed curled up on the doorstep.
"Birdie?" Gil flipped the boy into his arms. His eyes were closed but he was definitely still breathing.
"B-birdie!" He shrieked when the situation hit him. Matthew was alive. He was home.
He picked up the unconscious boy like one would a toddler and carried him up the stairs, using his boot to knock on Francis's door.
"Weren't you leaving?" Francis opened the door, running his eyes.
"I vas...until I found zhis."
Francis blinked, noticing what Gikbert had in his arms.
"M-Matthieu?"
"I found him on zhe doorstep."
" 'e is soaking wet." He said as he patted his younger brother's hair.
"It vas raining outside." Gil recalled. "Ve should get him to bed."
"I'll clean 'im up. You go tell my parents."