06 | Strings Attached

Kelly Marin.

Once I got home, Angela was sitting in the living room.

"Hey, here's your chips" I smiled.

"Thank you," she smiles back "I'm sorry for having him here, he wanted to come for some odd reason. I thought it was for me, but it wasn't. When I got home, he was already outside waiting"

"Oh, he asked me to go out with him" I brushed it off

"Wait, what?" Angela gasped "but he doesn't date!"

"He told me that, so I declined it"

"Wait, are you into him?" She smirks

"Of course not, I can't even stand the man" I scoff "besides, I have a date tomorrow night"

"Really? With who?"

"This guy named Alex," I blush "he's really sweet"

"When did you meet him? Do you have a picture?"

"I met him today actually, he works at the grocery store and he was being quite the gentleman," I smile at the memory "and no I don't have a picture of him."

"He seems nice, do you like him?"

"I don't even know him," I say truthfully "so what's there to like?"

"Your right, hopefully he turns out right for you unlike the last guy" she gags.

"Oh yeah, Jacob" I chuckle "that was horrifying"

"Yeah, he was hot but a douche"

"A big one, last time I seen him he was with another girl like three weeks after we broke up"

Jacob was my last boyfriend, we dated for almost a year. That ended, when I caught him talking to some other girl. I knew it was happening, he wouldn't let me take pictures on his phone and he wouldn't leave it around me.

One day, he left his phone behind and unlocked. Yeah, I feel like he planned that but it didn't hurt me as much as I thought it would. I cried here and there, but about a week later I was over it.

"What an ass," she rolls her eyes

"Yeah, but I'm scared" I admit

"Of what?" Angela frowns

"Love, finding it" I chuckle at my fear.
"Don't fear it, embrace it" Angela comforts me

"How can I embrace it, when I don't know what it is? I've never felt it"

"You have, with us. I know what your parents did to you and your brother changed your point of view on it, but you can't let that stand in the way"

"Can we please not bring my parents up in this conversation," I hated when she'd do this. It only made me feel more afraid, I don't want to love and I don't want to be loved.

I love my brother and Angela, but that's family wise. When I talk about finding love, it's relationship wise. I don't want to fall in love, then have someone walk out on me that I trusted and invested so much time on like my parents did.

Its the scariest feeling in the world.

"I'm sorry," she apologizes "now back to Mr. McCann"

"There's nothing to discuss" I shrug and walk into the kitchen. Angela follows behind me, not letting it go.

"Nothing to discuss? He asked you out, he's never asked anyone out before"

"Well, I said no and I'm pretty sure, he'll continue doing what he does best"