49

"No, no, no, this can't be happening!" I groaned, hitting the dashboard with my hand as Reese and I took in the streets of San Francisco, crowded both with hordes of people and cars. "We won't even get halfway through the city with all of this traffic!"

"Don't you just love summer and work traffic?" Reese muttered, leaning forward to put her head on the steering wheel.

"I bet I could walk," I said hopelessly, desperately trying to come up with an idea. I turned around in my seat, watching the sea of cars behind us as the sun continued to get closer to the horizon. "Or maybe take a bus."

"You'd still be stuck in this mess," Reese pointed out and I sighed.

"Maybe I could rent a bike or something," I tried, although I knew it was practically hopeless. "Or maybe... Maybe I can catch a cable car if we get to Powell..."

"Cable car takes too long. Too many stops." Reese shook her head and I let my head fall back against the headrest.

"We only have a half hour until they're on." I closed my eyes and pinched the bridge of my nose. "And I bet the crowd is big. We'll hardly be able to see them. I should've just stayed here. I'm sure I could have rescheduled or something."

"Don't say that, you don't know for sure what would have happened if you stayed." Reese reached over and patted my back. "We'll just try to get whatever view we can and you can see Michael afterwards. It's not the best but at least you got a job out of this."

"Well..." I mumbled sheepishly, looking down at my hands as Reese looked over at me incredulously.

"What do you mean 'well?'" Reese shouted and I winced. "You didn't get the job?"

"I kinda cut it short..." I mumbled sheepishly and Reese's eyes widened.

"You mean to say that we drove all the way down to LA for your interview, just so you can 'cut it short?'"

"I had to get here!" I tried to defend myself, but I knew she had a point.

"Michael went through all that trouble getting you that interview and you just threw it away!" Reese yelled and I snapped my head up. "You know all he ever wants is the best for you and I know he wouldn't have wanted you to screw this up for this - "

"Woah, hold on there, Reese," I cut her off sharply. "Since when do you care about people and what they go through?"

"What is that supposed to mean?" Reese's face turned red as she pressed on the gas pedal to inch forward in traffic. "That I don't care about people?"

"Pretty much," I folded my arms. "You know, I'm surprised you even drove today. Rarely do you ever do things for other people!"

"I can't believe that you're honestly trying to call me out on this after I sped across the state for you!" Reese hit the steering wheel with her hand and glared at me.

"Sure, you drive for one day for your best friend," I rolled my eyes and stared heatedly ahead at the back of the car in front of us. "You think that's enough to make up for the way you screw Luke over?"

I hadn't ever intended to bring Luke up to Reese, but once it was out there, I couldn't take it back.

"What did you say?" Reese's voice dropped to a whisper and I could feel her eyes on me.

"I know about you and Luke, Reese," I said, still staring ahead. When she didn't respond, I kept going. "You know he doesn't even want to do that? Luke deserves a girl that'll stay the night. And that is not you - "

"Is that street clear?" Reese cut me off, point down a street to my right.

I looked down the street, which was empty. Yet, at the other end, there was a one way sign pointing in our direction. "Yeah, but that's because it's a one way str - "