24

"Time for school! Time for school!"

"Wha-" I jolted upright in my bed as it kept dipping up and down, whipping my head around, eyes searching for the disturbance. My eyes instantly narrowed as they zeroed in on the culprit. "Michael, what the hell?"

The idiot was standing on the end of my bed. No correction.Jumping. He was jumping.

"You're gonna be late! Be late! For a very important date!" Michael sang, jumping up and down whist bobbing his head around. I was about to kick him off the bed and call him out on shamming the White Rabbit when I realized he was right. I overslept and had twenty minutes before my first class.

"Shit!" I threw the covers off and ran to my closet, yanking open the doors and looking for something to wear.

"Here, wear this." I heard Michael say from behind me and I stopped my search to look at him. Michael held a pair of black skinny jeans, a Cobain shirt, and of course, his/my black jacket. I stared at Michael as he walked forward, holding up the shirt in front of me. "Now you can look like me."

"Uh, thanks." I said quietly, a little surprised the Michael got together an outfit for me.

"Reese helped me out." Michael nodded, handing me the clothes.

"Reese?" 

"Yeah. Even if you aren't exactly talking to people, they still care, you know." Michael's voice was very soft and everything about him was calm, nothing like the way he was moments ago, jumping on my bed. 

"Right," I took the clothes from his hands. Michael only nodded and turned away, walking out into the hallway.

"Michael?" I piped up and he turned back to face me, raising his eyebrows. "Thank you,"  I said, not sure if it was the right thing to say or if there was anything to say, but suddenly I felt the urge to say something. Anything. 

"For what?"

"For what?" I whispered under my breath as I glanced around the room, my heart pounding eratically. I didn't understand at all why I felt like this all of a sudden or how any human being could gove someone feeling like this. Every feeling I ever had about Michael always snuck up on me. But its unpredictability was what was familiar to me. "Uh," everything? "Waking me up. Thanks."

"No problem," was all he said and turned down the hallway, closing the door behind him. Despite his simple response, I could have sworn I saw him smile.

As quickly as I could, I changed into my clothes, wrapping my arms around myself and breathing in Michael's faint scent on the jacket. A smile formed on my lips and my heart fluttered. The slightest things could send my heart flying in circles. Hurriedly, I brushed my teeth, fixed my hair, and then did my make-up. Then I basically flew down the hallway and into the living room where Michael sat on the couch with his feet up on the coffee table, playing on his phone.

"Put your feet down and I'm on my way out, so I'll see you when I get home, yeah?"

"I'll walk you there." Michael decided, standing up and putting his phone away. Michael went by me, grabbing his other jacket and opening the door for me.

"You don't have to, I'm perfectly capable of walking on my own. You can go back to sleep."

"No, I want to." Michael insisted, grabbing my hand and pulling me out into the hallway after him, using his own key to lock the door. "I'll come meet you at the Institute afterwards too."

"You don't have to, Mikey." I said, trying not to focus too much on the fact he was still holding my hand.

"But I'm gonna!" He flashed me a grin and pulled me down the stairs.