16

"Hello?"

"Is this Alana Gray?" A woman's voice responded on the other end.

"This is she."

"Hi, this is Amarie Marcus from Pixar Animation. I believe we've talked before?"

I rubbed my eye tiredly as I went around the room, cleaning up the popcorn Ashton and Calum had when they were visiting me. I racked my brain trying to remember an Amarie Marcus. "Yeah, I think so. Earlier last year through emails, right?"

"Yes, and a few video interviews."

"That sounds about right." I nodded and walked out the kitchen, passing the fridge, and sat on the couch. As much as I didn't want to, I was trying to cut back on my drinking after what Luke said. I didn't mean to hurt Michael this way. I figured it would hurt him more to drag him down. And it probably wouldn't be a good idea to get drunk while talking to a Pixar representative. "How can I help you?"

"Listen, Alana. We really like your work and designs. We were actually going to sign you again. But someone else has been a little more consistent with their work lately..." Amarie paused, waiting for me to respond. When I didn't, she continued on. "So we've decided to sign them on instead. I'm sorry."

"So," I said slowly, biting my lip and forcing myself to stay calm. "I'm off the program?"

"No, no." Amarie rushed. "You're still very much in the program. You just aren't as high up on the list as you were. Don't worry about getting dropped. We'd give you a warning first. But it'll be a while before we can take you on again."

"How long? How long do you think it'll be?" I swallowed back the lump in my throat, glancing over the back of the couch at the kitchen.

"Could be months. Maybe even a year." She said quietly.

"And there's nothing I can do?"

"You can start sending in more, and even more amazing work!" Amarie cheered in what was supposed to be an encouraging tone, I suppose. "That way you can move higher up om the job list and we might look for you when a job opens up."

"But at least a couple months, right?"

"Or more."

"How hard is it to move up?"

"I won't lie to you, Alana. You have impressive competition. It'll be a challenge."

"Okay. Thank you. I'll try to work harder." I stood, speaking through gritted teeth.

"That's good to hear." I could hear her relieved smile through the phone. "I'll let you go now. Have a good evening."

"Thanks, you too." I hung up, tossing the phone on the couch and walking back to the kitchen.

I opened the refrigerator door.

***

"Agh!" I screamed, throwing the bottle, watching it burst into thousands of sparkling shards as it collided with the wall opposite of me.

"It's not my fault!" I cried, tears pouring down my cheeks. "I didn't ask for any of it! I didn't ask to be broken!"

I shakily got to my feet from my spot in the corner of the room and began to walk towards the broken glass. Careful not to be standing on any, I stood, looking down at the glistening shards and hearing the glass break over and over again. It sounded just like the supply cabinet. Breaking under my weight and exploding around me.