9

"Alana Gray, open up this door!" I heard a voice yell from in the hallway, followed by a rhythmic series of knocks.

"Coming, coming!" I shouted, rolling off my bed and heading towards the door. I opened it to see Michael standing on the other side with a plastic bag in one hand and a little black box in the other. Without a word, Michael pushed past me and walked into the room.

"Well hello to you too!" I laughed, too used to Michael walking into my place to even care.

"Sorry." He shrugged, opening the bathroom door and flipping on the light before stepping inside.

"What are you doing?" I asked, closing the front door and standing in the bathroom doorway as Michael turned over the plastic bag, emptying out its contents: plastic gloves and a rectangular little box. I stepped inside and picked it up. "Blue hair dye?"

"Yeah, for Fourth of July. They didn't have the right shade of red I wanted and I didn't feel like bleaching it white, so I decided on blue."

"Okay then. And I'm assuming you need my help?" I guessed.

"Well, duh, Lana, why else would I have come here with hair dye?"

"Sassy." I said, slapping him playfully on the arm. "Well lucky for you, Reese and Kayla went out to some fancy dinner place so I've got nothing to do."

"Didn't wanna go out and be social?" Michael smirked.

"Ew, no." I pulled a disgusted face. "Nah, those fancy expensive restaurants just aren't really my style."

"Ew, fancy expensive restaurants." Michael scrunched up his face that probably mirrored mine.

"Exactly." I nodded, turning the box over and reading the directions carefully so I wouldn't mess up. I pointed to the wall of the bathtub and Michael sat down, swinging his long black skinny jean clad legs into the tub so his back faced me. "Alright so you're sure you want this?"

"I'm sure."

"Alright." I said, grabbing one of our unused beach towels-instead of one of the hotel's fluffy white ones-and draping it over his shoulders. I slipped on the gloves, opening the box, and shaking the bottle of dye. "Last chance, Clifford. Say goodbye to your galaxy hair."

"Goodbye, galaxy hair." Michael said fondly.

I laughed, adding the first few drops of dye to Michael's faded purple hair. "I really liked your galaxy hair."

"Me too, but I felt like it was a time for a change."

"Right, because you dye your hair like, every month." I added a few more drops of dye.

"Basically." He laughed.

"Maybe I should paint my nails every time you dye it. They're already blue, so I'll start the next time you dye your hair." I thought, looking at my nails through the clear plastic gloves. The color of my nails was a color very similar to that of Michael's new hair.

"Go for it. I like that idea. We could match."

A few minutes later, we sat on the bathtub wall. Michael's hair was wrapped with foil and now we were just letting it sit. "So we've got a half hour to kill until you can take the foil off, so what do you wanna do?"

"Hmmm." Michael thought, kicking my feet. Suddenly his head shot up and he looked at me with eager eyes. "I know!"

"What?" I asked suspiciously, seeing the spark in his eyes. I didn't know if I should be nervous. Last time he suggested a great idea while we were hanging out at his place, we ended up covered in flower from trying to make our own pizza.