28

"Eh, let them look." Michael smirked as he closed the space between us. He placed a finger beneath my chin and tilted my face up before bring his lips down on mine.

"Oh, people are looking, Clifford." I said breathlessly as I pulled away and looked around us. We were on the Art Instistute campus. Michael came to "walk" me home on this fine Friday afternoon. Anyone within 20 yards could see that. Within the past few weeks, Michael's been bolder with public displays of affection. He would kiss me at random moments like right after we crossed a street or walked by a record store for some odd reason. Today he decided to kiss me in front of everyone on campus.

But I don't think he did these things to be public. I never asked why, but I certainly didn't mind. That much.

"Hm," I mumbled as he pulled away. "Why did I ever question PDA again?"

"Beats me." Michael smirked and kissed my forehead. I smiled lightly as the wind stirred my hair and we continued on our way.

"So," I said, shifting my bag on my shoulder and pulling at my jacket. "Did you get off work this weekend?"

"I did!" Michael beamed. He suddenly turned to me and ducked down, fitting his arm under my knee and the other behind my back as he swept me off the ground and continued to walk down the street.

"Michael!" I tossed my head back and giggled, letting my head bob in time to Michaels stride.

"This weekend is gonna be fun, Lana, you'll see!" Michael blew a raspberry in the crook of my neck and I nearly rolled out of his arms.

Ah, yes. This weekend. Michael said if he got the weekend off, he had something fun planned for the two of us, but he wouldn't tell me what. "Tell me already, Michael! Please?"

"No way!" Michael chuckled as he carried me up the stairs and into the apartment building, ignoring all my pleads with a happy smile on his face.

"But, Michael!" I prodded, unable to drop the subject. "You can't just not tell me! You're terrible at keeping secrets!"

"No I'm not!" Michael protested and I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, yes you are! Remember when you told about how you found Luke-"

"Alright, alright!" Michael cut me off and I grinned triumphantly.

"So you'll tell me?" I asked at the same time Michael said, "I'm still not gonna tell you."

"Ugh! You suck!" I pouted and Michael coughed into his shoulder and his eyes glinted with humor. Immediately, I understood. "Did you just think of something inappropriate too?"

"No..."

"I see through you, Clifford." I teased.

"Oh, hush." Michael stopped me from saying anything else by kissing me on the lips. We rounded the corner onto my floor and walked down the hall to my apartment. Still holding me, Michael reached into his pocket and pulled out my key, opening the door and entering.

"And he carries his bride through the threshold!" Michael announced buoyantly.

"I didn't know we were married!" I blushed, wrapping my arms around his neck and resting my head against his chest.

Amongst all our insane merriment at the excitement of a weekend, a single figure rose from the couch in the living room. Michael came to sudden halt and our laughter died immediately. My mouth fell open as I took in this new guest.

"Mom?"

***

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you I would be here, Alana." My mom apologized from where she sat on one end of the couch while I sat on the other on Michael's lap. "My flight had a stop in Oakland, but the departure was delayed until tomorrow. Your Aunt Rachael's visiting one of her old friends from school for the night. It wasn't until I heard about the delay that I realized what day it was and decided to come here instead."