Discussion Thread: Chapters 1-3

Discussion and Q&A Guidelines 

Please feel free to use this area to discuss and debate chapters 1-3. If you have any specific questions for the author, Garrett Calcaterra, please make sure to tag him in your question with his handle @gcalcaterra. He will make his best effort to respond to your tagged questions within the week. Otherwise, the author will not respond or "police" any of your comments. Just make sure to be civil, follow the Wattpad code of conduct, and have fun! 

 Author Notes: 

 *The genesis for DREAMWIELDER was literally a dream. In this dream a young princess slept in a castle while her parents beat frantically on her chamber door. When they finally broke through the door and awoke her, the castle disappeared to be replaced by a hovel, and the young princess opened her eyes to her reality as a farm girl. It was my mother who had this dream, and when she told me about it and asked me to use it as a starting point for a story, I immediately saw the potential. What sort of magic did the young girl possess that enabled her to dream a castle into existence? And why were her parents so terrified by her dream? The quest to answer these questions resulted not only in the opening sequence but an entire novel. 

 *One of my goals in writing DREAMWIELDER was to balance out the sprawling plot with a smooth, true-omniscient narrative. Hence the "storyteller" voice in the opening page that then shifts into Makarria's viewpoint, and then Prisca's. I also utilized section breaks and chapter breaks whenever the story jumps someplace geographically or temporally. If I did my job well, the reader will find her- or him-self engrossed in the story by the end of the Chapter 3 without even realizing I've introduced six key characters and snuck in a bunch of background information about the Five Kingdoms.