Chapter 23: THE REBELLION BEGINS

Parmo looked over the small group of men gathered around him in his upstairs bedroom of The Herdsman. Their plans had come together quickly after Parmo agreed to stay and help. Rufous and Gaetan had already recruited soldiers, sailors, and officials from every arm of the Pyrthinian government, and they already had all the workings of a plan. All Parmo had to do was bring an outside perspective and settle a few arguments, and now here they were on the cusp of staging a coup. Nearly a dozen men were packed into the room, standing around the sagging bed which had become a desk of sorts with a large map of the city spread out across it.

"What news do you bring?" Parmo asked of the newest member of their group, an archer whom Gaetan had recruited from Castle Pyrthin.

"I was witness to the butchering of those girls three days ago," the man said. "After Wulfram killed my captain and all those girls, the houndkeeper gave Wulfram a message. Wulfram said he was summoned back to Col Sargoth. I was standing close enough to hear it with my own ears. He said that the Prince had escaped, and I can only assume he meant Prince Caile."

"Those are good tidings," Parmo said, pushing aside the thought of the girls being butchered by Wulfram and turning his gaze upon Gaetan. "Have you confirmed the sightings of Wulfram leaving the city?"

"Aye," Gaetan replied. "We've confirmed over thirty sightings of him flying off. People around the castle, in the city, and even in the farms to the west saw him making toward Col Sargoth."

"We must act now then," Parmo said, taking a deep breath and making sure he had everything straight in his mind before continuing. "Who's in charge of the archers?" he asked the new recruit.

"Me. I'm the captain now."

"Perfect," Parmo said. "How many men can you steal away from the castle unnoticed tonight? Men you can trust?"

The captain of the archers eyed Parmo silently for a long moment before responding. "Six, including myself."

"Then you will go with me to the houndkeeper's tower. I'll go into the tower myself to deal with the houndkeeper's men, but if they keep their wits about them they will try to send a warning to Col Sargoth. We can't risk any ravens getting loose, Captain, otherwise Wulfram will be right back here to make a short end of our work. Make sure nothing gets out of that window alive."

"If I may?" the captain said, looking to his fellow Pyrthinian soldiers and sailors. "Why is it that we are taking orders from a Valarion? And one five years my junior by the look of him."

Parmo pursed his lips. He still couldn't keep his head around the idea that his body was young now. Before Makarria had remade him, his distinctly Valarion features had been hidden beneath wrinkles, sagging skin, and grayed hair. No one would have ever suspected him of being a Valarion. In addition, his aged appearance had lent him an air of wisdom and dignity. No one instinctively trusts a young man though, he reminded himself, particularly if he's not your countryman. You've got to earn it.

"I apologize if I sometimes presume to give orders," Parmo said. "I'm merely making suggestions, and I promise you, we share the same goals, Captain. I want to see King Casstian free and on the throne again. My niece has been abducted along with the princess. I want to get them both back. I want the Emperor and Wulfram dead. I want to again see the day where Pyrthinia and Valaróz are the closest of allies."

"Parmo's proven himself," Gaetan said. "He saved my life and Rufous's, both."

"That's right," Rufous affirmed. "And no one is giving orders to no one. We're all in this together. We all have our own areas of know-how and skills. It just so happens that Parmo's is with strategics."