Discussion Thread: Chapters 4-6

Discussion and Q&A Guidelines

Please feel free to use this area to discuss and debate chapters 1-3. If you have any specific questions for the author, Garrett Calcaterra, please make sure to tag him in your question with his handle @gcalcaterra. He will make his best effort to respond to your tagged questions within the week. Otherwise, the author will not respond or "police" any of your comments. Just make sure to be civil, follow the Wattpad code of conduct, and have fun!

Author Notes:

*Chapters four through six are where the action really picks up. We get a glimpse of what Makarria is capable of, and now she's off! There were two particularly tough challenges for me as a writer in these chapters, the first of which was the scene were Makarria has her first "moon blood." It's an important moment because it signifies a turning point in Makarria's life—her transition into adulthood, and an incontrovertible sign that she's not going to grow out of her power. The challenge was to get those ideas across without making a big deal out of the physiological bit, which is, of course, very personal, but at the same time a normal part of growing up.

*The second challenge was introducing a new viewpoint character, Natarios Rhodas. When you have a multiple viewpoint narrative, it's tough to gauge when to introduce the new characters. Too soon and the reader gets overwhelmed with the sheer number of characters. Too late and it feels like the new characters come out of the blue simply to advance the plot. My game plan here was to introduce our two main protagonists, Makarria and Caile, and let the reader get to know them a bit before bringing in the new viewpoint characters. Hopefully it worked.