Discussion Thread: Chapters 16-18

Discussion and Q&A Guidelines

Please feel free to use this area to discuss and debate chapters 1-3. If you have any specific questions for the author, Garrett Calcaterra, please make sure to tag him in your question with his handle @gcalcaterra. He will make his best effort to respond to your tagged questions within the week. Otherwise, the author will not respond or "police" any of your comments. Just make sure to be civil, follow the Wattpad code of conduct, and have fun!

Author Notes

*I guess you could sort of call this installment of the book the "making friends" section. Certainly, there are bad things going on, but Caile reconnects with the turnip lady, and, with Taera occupied, Makarria forges a new friendship with the giant northman, Siegbjorn.

*My challenge as a writer at this point of book—nearing the halfway point—was keeping the tension up. Some of the plot pieces are starting to connect, and that makes it really easy to fall into the trap of lessening the stakes for the characters. My agent worked with me in the revision process to make sure each chapter had not only an arc, but also added complications to the story. I feel like chapter 18 still has a bit of a lull, but it's certainly better than the original draft, and I learned a lot working through it. In writing the sequel, I was much more skilled at keeping each individual chapter eventful and tense.