51

EVIE 

A heaviness is pressed against my chest. I fight for air, but nothing feels like is coming in. Darkness has encompassed my vision. All I want to see is... something. Anything really. I can hear the distant murmur of voices, but I can't distinguish what it is. I open my mouth to call out... hoping that they'll pull me back up from this dark abyss I've been pulled into, but nothing will come out.

Was this what death felt like? I watched enough Touch By An Angel as a kid to get a bit of an idea. None of this seemed to be close to what I've learnt. I mean, where was my guardian angel to tell me everything is going to be alright? Wait - did I die?

The last thing I could remember, uncovered from the hazy blindness, was talking to Niall. The worry etched into his features haunts me. It's all I can see... remember. The way he looked at me as if I was about to collapse... I guess I did collapse. Shoot - have I fainted? That would explain the ringing in my ears... Oh God - what is going on? I'm too young to die! As much as I love that Lady Antebellum song, I don't want it to play at my funeral. I have so much left in me to give.

Well - I guess if I did die, I don't have to worry about writing any more papers. That'd be nice...

There's a heavy feeling on my right side, but I can't reach out to touch it. Frustration encompasses me, and I'm ready to cry. The sounds that I could hear out in the distance grow closer and closer. It all becomes too loud...

"Evie..." The voice calls out my name. I open my mouth to respond, to tell them that I can hear them and that I'm okay, but again nothing comes out.

Why is this so hard?

... but before i could even try to say something, darkness covers me once again.

-

The strong aroma of antiseptic invades my senses. I felt like I was hit by a truck - and let me tell you, that's not the most comforting feeling in the world. My whole mouth is dry... my breath tastes stale. I can hear the steady beeping of my monitor beside me. I knew that I was in the hospital from the smells alone.

With every ounce of energy that I could muster up, I opened my eyes. They were heavy... crusted from sleeping far too long. (At least, I think it was a long time. I'm not too sure...) My eyes fluttered open and I'm met with a blank white wall. I felt so, so groggy. The heaviness I once felt in my chest has eased up, but there was still a distant ringing in my ears. I was confused. So incredibly confused. Why was I in the hospital? What happened?

The steady beep of my hart monitor plays on beside me, lulling me back to sleep. I felt tired. The long hours of my unconsciousness not doing anything positive to my weakened state. If anything, it made me feel even more sleepy.

A rustling sound comes from beside my bed. I'm not surprised to see him there. Niall's head is lulled to the side, his chair tucked in between my bed and bedside table. His hand holds onto mine loosely - the heaviness I had been feeling earlier. A deep snore sounds form his nose, his eyes fluttering behind his eyelids. He was always a heavy sleeper.

I smile at my big goof. Just knowing that he has been here for however long it's been, sleeping beside my bed, tugs at my heartstrings. I am so in love with this man. This man who deserves the world and all that it can give him, but has settled for little old me. It breaks my heart knowing that he could have anyone that he could get, but he's settled for me; a girl who is so broken that she is no longer fixable.

I'm a complete mess.

I squeeze his hand. Energy is almost non existent, so the squeeze is barely anything, but it's enough to jolt him awake. He jumps, causing my arm to go with him. I hiss out - my IV tugging on my hand.