16

EVIE

A day of doing nothing but writing papers can drive a simple student to the edge of exhaustion and insanity. Typing, researching, typing, reading over notes and more typing… it was a routine that every student had fallen into. It was a routine I had fallen into. Eyes began to twitch and my mind grew closer to collapsing. I had overconsumed too many boxes of Chinese takeout and drank an exceedingly amount of coffee. This was the lifestyle that many people choose to live through; it was a lifestyle that I had chosen to live.

Could someone explain to me why deciding to go back to school was the right life decision?

I lay lifelessly across my bed, my eyes growing heavier with sleep. I run my fingers through my greasy strands of hair, massaging my temples gently. I was only one paper done and two more to go. This was pure torture. At least there was the relief and satisfaction knowing I had finished my article. That was one less thing I needed to worry about.

It was only Wednesday and I was already ready for the weekend. The weekend meant that I was done with three of my major papers for this semester. It also meant that I only had a few more lectures left before I had to start studying for finals. At the end of it all, this only meant I was one month closer to Christmas.

Grabbing my phone, I pull up my calendar. Today was only November 14. Shit…” that meant my birthday was coming up. Ten more days until I turned the ripe old age of twenty – when the hell did that happen? When did I get this old? My teenage years were dwindling away and soon I’d be an old lady, with grey hair and a bad back.

With an upcoming birthday that meant Presley would be forcing me to go out to celebrate my birthday. As much as I enjoyed my birthday, all I wanted to do this year was sleep and maybe watch a movie or two. There will also be copious amounts of junk food and a burger. I’d most likely go home and spend the evening with my mother and she’d force me to watch Dirty Dancing because there’s no other movie better - according to her at least.

However, knowing my best friends, they’d want to snag me the day before and take me out. Even though I’ll fight them, they’d win because I’m spineless and unable to say no to peer pressure. Maggie will force me to wear something tight and heels that’ll make my feet bleed, while Presley forces too many shots of vodka down my throats. Leah, being the kind hearted soul that she was, will make sure my hair is pulled back when I puke everything up later that night. My friends were real gems.

My phone begins to ring. Maggie’s name begins to flash across the screen. Begrudgingly I answer it, knowing too well what this conversation would be all about.

“Hey,” I slowly speak into the phone, my mind too tired to be perky.

“Hi,” Maggie’s cheerful voice squeaks on the other line. She was much too happy tonight. What happened to all students being miserable and hating life… it was paper season for crying out loud. “How was the rest of your afternoon?”

“You got your date,” I tell her, not bothering with the small talk and relaxing her worried mind. I’m such a great friend.

Her loud squeals are deafening. I pull my phone away from my ear, still able to hear her giggling on the other end.

“Really, Ryder said Tanner will do it? We’re going on a double date? Oh my God! What am I going to wear? Where are we going? I need to wax…” she babbles away, too excited to let me get one word in. I wait for her to calm down before I answer.

“Yes, you’re going on the date. I’m sure you’ll pick something out. Whatever you wear you’ll look great, Mags… don’t worry about it,” I tell her as she continues to giggle.