Leaving A Trace

Wolfram's P.O.V

This is the first day of being the leader of this investigation. I don't actually think that I am capable for such a task, but his eminence has faith in me which counts for something at least. Even that doesn't change the doubts that swirl around inside me.

I had a dreamless sleep, which made me awaken worried. Normally, I do dream. But last night and the night before, I haven't had any dreams. None at all. Can I even dream anymore? I don't know. I might just ask his eminence, when I see him.

After getting dressed into my magenta uniform, I step out of the guest room given to me and walk toward the dining room. With each movement, the white, pleated attachment to my corset sways from side to side. It just reaches past my behind, and fits well with the rest of the uniform. I'm still curious as to where his eminence found a uniform like this.

On my way to the dining room for breakfast, I round the corner of the corridor and bump into four ladies. I step back to see that it's Sangria, Lasagne, Doria and Effé. I look to the ground and see that I made them drop some wash clothes and towels.

I bend down and help them pick up the items, of which I made them drop. "I am so sorry" I apologise. "I didn't see you coming round the corner"

Doria looks to me and gasps. I look to her "oh no, it is our fault" they all stand, as do I. I hand Sangria some of the washcloths. She takes them with confusion. I also see confusion in the other maids' eyes.

"I'm sorry, but I don't think we have seen you before. Who are you?" Lasagne asks. I turn to her.

I inhale a deep breath, ready to tell them who I am until Effé steps closer with wide eyes. "Are you Lady Miyuki Allcott? The one leading the investigation of finding Lord Wolfram's murderers?"

I nod "yes I am. It is nice to meet you all" pretending to not know everyone is making my head ache.

They all gasp and step back. Did I do something wrong? The worry in my mind is eradicated when they bow to me "it is a pleasure to meet you, Lady Miyuki"

I smile nervously "please, there is no need to bow to me. I am no one of importance".

They straighten. Sangria steps forward, shaking her head "yes you are. You are the person who has come all the way to the demon kingdom, from your home country in order to help with this investigation"

I feel...appreciated. They barely know me and yet, here they are, greeting me as if I am a lost member of the family. Well, technically I am. But they don't know that.

"And his eminence, told us a month prior to your arrival at Covenant Castle, that you are very good at solving deep, involved mysteries" Lasagne points out.

My eye twitches. His eminence can be very crafty sometimes, but he never told me that. Hell, I don't know what things he's said during the time of my resurrection, but I bet I have never heard them.

I smile to her "well I appreciate your kind words, but I hope that I can at least find one clue today. I will try the very best that I can, to help his excellency and his majesty in finding the people who did this to their loved one". I inwardly cringe. I feel so big headed right now.

Doria smiles to me "well we wish you good luck with your first day on the investigation" she and the others give a bow and run off to where I just came.

With a loud sigh, I make my way to the dining hall for breakfast. This is going to be one awkward morning.

》》》》》》》

Once reaching the dining hall, I hesitate to open the door. I hear voices inside, which means that I walked slower than I should have. I can't help it. My new body hasn't gotten used to running yet, or walking at my normally quickened pace. So I will have to build up the strength in my legs pretty soon.