Chapter 46 - A Prodigy Faces a Champion

I was chatting with my new friends in the classroom at the Pokemon school. Today was what could be considered a rest day. It's been a week and I've already completed my first objective-though all I had to do was document multiple regional variants so it wasn't difficult.

I was surrounded by my new companions, Mallow, Sophocles, Kiawe, Lana, and the over-energetic Ichika Amawasa, who seemed to have endless questions about Kiyotaka. The atmosphere was welcoming and I felt more comfortable with them than I do in Class A sometimes.

Kiawe slapped my shoulder, "When can we battle next?" He asked.

Mallow playfully rolled her eyes, "Kiawe, you two have battled three times and you've lost badly three times."

"Yeah, but I've got it this time!" Kiawe exclaimed.

I chuckled, and Mallow smiled, "You said that the last two times." She teased.

Ichika nodded emphatically, "I don't think you can beat Mr. Gold, Kiawe!" She laughed.

Before he could give a response, the door opened, and Professor Lillie stepped in. "Ethan, can you come with me for second?"

I glanced at my friends, before nodding and standing up, "Yeah, of course!" I excitedly said.

She smiled and I followed her out of the classroom. As she lead me through the hallways of the building, I had a hopeful thought in the back of my mind.

Will I finally get to meet Ash Ketchum?

We stopped outside of a door, and Lillie knocked once on the door, and a voice called out, "Come in!"

She opened the door and sent me a smile, "Go in."

I smiled back and entered the room, I glanced around the room. It was a white room with a couch on the back wall, a TV across from it, and a pool table. Sitting on the couch were two people-scratch that, two legendary trainers.

Holy shit! Ash Ketchum and Steven Stone!

Ash was intently watching something on his phone with his Pikachu laying on his shoulder, and Steven was watching a documentary on... rocks? He was still glancing over at Ash's phone every couple seconds.

The two looked up, and gave a welcoming smile, "Hey, you're Gold, right?" Ash asked, standing up.

I took a moment to answer, "Ye-yeah, that's me." I muttered.

Ash laughed and patted my shoulder, "Relax! There's no reason to be nervous."

I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves, "It's just... I've admired you ever since I was a kid. You're a legend."

Ash's smile widened, "Thanks! But, I'm just another trainer who loves Pokemon, and Steven is too." He pointed his thumb at Steven.

Steven chimed in with a smile, "We're just regular people."

I couldn't help but laugh-two of the top trainers in history are trying to say they're normal people. "How did you know my name?" I asked, I realized it was a dumb question the second it left my mouth.

I mean, I've been studying under his wife and consistently at a school that his wife works at.

He chuckled, "Lillie told me about you, and I've watched a couple of your battles." He smiled.

Huh?

I gave a confused look, "How'd you watch them?" I asked.

He turned his phone towards me, showing me a battle between... Manabu and Cynthia?! "See, the elite trainers and Professors of the world have an app that lets us watch battles and exams at your school!" He explained.