Chapter Three

I miss you, Benjamin. I don't really know how else to put it.

You knocked softly on my door at exactly seven o'clock that night.

We ended up taking your car out of town, where you left me guessing where we were going the entire time.

'The aquarium?' I asked, hopefully.

'Honestly, Ellie, do you really pin me for a lame kind of guy?' you said, chuckling adoringly.

'I don't think that aquarium is lame!' I squealed.

'Okay, but it's still not the aquarium. It's something way better, I promise.'

'Benjamin, we've been driving for half an hour,' I complained.

'Well you're lucky we're arriving now,' he said, reaching the bottom of a mountain.

'A mountain? Okay, you're definitely going to kidnap me now.'

You laughed, shaking your head as I nervously bit down on my lip.

We drove up a winding road, leaving me to gaze out at the view.

You came to a stop just outside a forest.

You hopped out of the car, opening the boot of your car and pulling out a picnic basket and blanket.

'Surprise,' you said, sheepishly.

I giggled at your cheesiness.

'This place is more than it looks, promise.'

'Sure thing, bucko.'

You walked into the forest, expecting me to follow. And I did.

You kept going and I followed, the forest becoming darker and denser until we reached a big clearing.

The tree canopy overhead let moonlight stream through, illuminating the whole clearing with light.

It was magical.

'Count me in on your next adventure planned,' I said with a giggle, taking the blanket and spreading it on the surface of the mulch.

You sat down on the blanket next to me, laying down and propping your head up with your hands.

'This is my favourite place to come and get away from everything,' you said, your voice distant.

By then, the wind had picked up and you offered me your jumper.

'Thank you, Mr. Cliché,' I joked, smiling as you returned to stargazing.

I pulled the jumper across my shoulders, escaping from the wind.

And now, looking back on everything, I realise our love was like wind, Benjamin.

You could always feel it.

Always.