Chapter Seven

Oh goodness, Benjamin. You have no idea how long it took me to create a semi-decent response to your letter.

I spent the next few hours outside with pen and paper, but everything I wanted to say to you was just so indescribable. I just couldn't fathom anything I wanted to say onto paper.

Maybe that's what I liked most about you; the comfortable silences we shared. We didn't have to say anything, but everything we had to say was in the silence. It was in the way we breathed rather heavily around each other, how our heartbeats were faster than usual, how our smiles stretched wider.

I saw a future with you, Benjamin. It is so tragic that we lost what we had.

So, as I stared out at my garden from my porch, I finally wrote something down.

Dear Benjamin,

I got your letter this morning and I thought it was only fair to write back.

Benjamin, the flowers in my garden remind me of you. I think it's because they're learning to bloom beside one another without competing. They're growing up and becoming individuals, yet still basking in their own type of beauty.

Ellie.

I was satisfied with my letter, so I drove myself to the post office.

Dropping the envelope in the mailbox, I spun on my heel and started towards my car.

I ended up giggling quietly, because who'd have thought that someone like you would enter my life.

I was so lucky.