Epilogue

Dear Benjamin,

It's been 2 years since you left.

I miss you, but it doesn't hurt me anymore. I no longer tear up when I hear our song playing on the radio and I don't break down when I look through old photos of us. I miss you and your touch and your laugh and your early morning voice, but I've learnt to live without it. I've learnt to move on.

A lot has happened in the past 2 years, Benjamin.

I mean, everything has gotten better, even though I thought it never would. I never thought I'd actually be okay, and that I'd just tell myself I would be but would never actually be. But I am, I'm okay now and I have been for a while.

Your dad's okay, too. I see him around town a bit. He seems to have found new hobbies to occupy himself since you've left. You probably know that, though. I think he's visited you a few times.

About 8 months after you left, I met this guy. His name's Harrison. I think you would've liked him, Benjamin. He's a nice guy, just like you were. Funnily enough, Harrison and I met at the same café you and I did, but in a slightly different circumstance. Instead of spilling his drink on me like you did, he offered to buy me one.

Everything after that just flowed. Now, almost two years later, we're still together. We now share an apartment and I get to wake up next to the person I love every morning. It's fantastic, living with your best friend. I love it and I couldn't be happier.

I hope it's the same for you too, Benjamin. You deserve the world, and I hope you've found someone who can give you exactly that.

Now, I work in journalism too, and also part-time in the café. Harrison and I are thinking about travelling soon, maybe to a big city, just to see what it's like. I think I want to spend the rest of my life with him, Benjamin. I really do. I love him.

From the bottom of my heart, I love you, Benjamin. Not in the same way I used to though, but I still do. I'll always remember the spark you ignited within me that I loved, but I don't feel anything when I think about you now. Harrison lights a different fire within me too, and gosh, I love him. And the best part is, I don't think he's leaving any time soon.

But, Benjamin, I hope you're doing well. I hope you found what you're looking for, I hope you've found another girl to spend your life with and that you feel like you made the right decision to leave.

Maybe we'll cross paths in the future and we can talk like old friends, but for now, we're just strangers with memories.

Ellie.