Chapter Sixteen

I still remember our one year anniversary, Benjamin.

God, how could I forget?

I remember waking up and practically running to the mailbox that morning. I loved how we were so old fashion, I loved reading your writing, I loved what you wrote to me. Benjamin, I just loved you.

I ran out into my garden in my nighty and picked up your letter, which had a pretty flower drawn on the front.

Your letter read:

Dear Ellie,

One year with you by my side.

One whole entire year.

Oh my God, I love you so much. I couldn't be happier.

I love when you wake up beside me and our legs are tangled, when you rub your sleepy eyes, when you're concentrating and get little frown marks on your forehead. I love when you kiss me because I'm rambling, I love when you smile and I love the way your eyes crinkle. I love how your hair doesn't always sit flat and how you carry yourself with pride.

God Ellie, don't you see? I'm so in love with you.

I love you Ellie. Happy one year. I love you so much.

But, here's the catch. Mum and Dad had to go to another town for a while. Maybe a week or two?

I left last night. God, I'm so sorry Ellie. I really wanted to be home for this and my letter definitely doesn't make up for my absence.

Please, hold on for a week, just for me. I'll make it up to you when I get home.

I hope you have a great day, I love you so much.

Benjamin.

It broke my heart, Benjamin, that you couldn't be there with me. But I love you.

I love you, present tense.

Nothing will ever change that.

I miss you so much Benjamin, but I still love you.

I just wish you knew that.