fire of idorsholoas

Hey, new chapter! This chapter was very difficult to write for some reason, but I guess i'm reasonably happy with it.

Merlynn had been cleaning Arthur's boots in his chambers when word of a visitor came by the door. The entire council was called to the Council Chamber; she was a bit confused, but curious none the less. So, she dropped the half-shiny boots and hurried toward the chamber, taking her normal place beside Gaius as the man stood in front of the King.

"I'm a herder from the northern plains, Sire. Three nights back, we were camped beneath the walls of Idirsholas," the man, who had introduced himself Joseph, announced.

Uther scoffed. "I'm not sure I would've chosen such a place."

"Good pasture is scarce at this time of year, Sire," he explained. "So-"

"And what is it you have to tell me?" The King had luxuriously spread himself on his throne, elbow on the armrest as leverage, his leg hanging over the side of the other.

Joseph hesitated; he seemed nervous, and Merlynn couldn't blame him. "While we were there we, we saw smoke rising from the citadel."

"And did you see anything else?" Gaius asked as Uther's eyes caught onto his.

"No," Joseph replied.

"Did you go inside?" Uther questioned with a quirked brow.

The herder looked utterly mortified at the prospect of such a thing. "No. Nobody has stepped over that threshold for 300 years! You must know the legend, Sire."

Once more, Gaius took over. "When the fires of Idirsholas burn, the knights of Medhir will ride again," he recited solemnly.

Uther stood from the throne and ran a hand over his brow. "See to it this man is fed and has a bed for the night." As one of the knights took Joseph out, the King turned to Arthur. "Take a ride out there."

"Why?" Arthur asked irritably.

"So we can put people's minds at rest," he explained.

The young prince crossed his arms over his chest; he took a glance at Merlynn, who shrugged. "Surely this is superstitious nonsense?" he scoffed.

"Gather the guard and do as I say."

oOo

Merlynn had never seen such worry in Uther's eyes before. It was disconcerting; the King was such a superstitious being, but this was more than that. This was unbridled fear. As she entered her chambers, Merlynn turned to face the wise, old physician, who also seemed to be uneasy about the news of Idirsholas.

"Why did Uther look so worried about this?" she asked curiously.

Gaius shut his eyes; the announcement involving Idirsholas was a tiresome and terrifying one, and he was unsure of the consequences facing Camelot. "Because the Knights of Medhir are a force to be reckoned with," he replied.

"Do you believe the story as well?" she inquired.

"It's more than a story, Merlynn," he told her. "Some 300 years ago, seven of Camelot's knights were seduced by a sorcerer's call. One by one, they succumbed to her power. At her command, they became a terrifying and brutal force that rode through the lands leaving death and destruction in their wake."

Merlynn eyes were wide after the tale had ended, and she leaned forward like an eager child. "What happened?"

"It was only after the sorcerer herself was killed that the Knights of Medhir finally grew still," he finished. After a brief moment of a tense pause he continued, hand over hers, "Merlynn, if what Joseph says is true, then something has awoken them, and I fear for each and every one of us."