Chapter Five

Chapter Five

William

Stepping out from the tannery, I pocketed my purchase with a pleased smile.

My secret project was almost completed, and I couldn't wait to see the look on her face when I presented her with it. The gift was nothing fancy, a simple medallion hanging from a leather thong, but I had spent the past month painstakingly crafting it—using the different metalworking skills I'd been honing in my father's blacksmith shop to make her something worth cherishing.

All that was left was to thread the thin strip through the small hole I'd pierced, and it would hang perfectly around her neck. A sense of pride washed through me at the thought. The only thing that could trump that image would be the entwined band of a wedding ring on her finger.

I shook my head to clear my mind. I was getting ahead of myself. We're friends who exchange pleasantries whenever we meet, but the familiarity we shared as children has past, and will need to be rekindled. Courtship comes before marriage—and before that, an honest talk with her father.

I've loved her for as long as I've breathed, and I've been adamant that one day she should be mine. It would all start with this medallion.

As I passed through the village on the way back to the forge, I waved and nodded in greeting to those I met. Many offered well wishes to be sent to my family, and others spoke of needing my services. Business was good, and with my apprenticeship coming to an end, I looked forward to the time I would take over the blacksmith shop.

My father approached me a few nights ago with pride shining in his eyes. He had taken me on as a striker, and I had proven more than competent at wielding the heavy hammer that strikes the heated metal. As time continued, he entrusted me with larger projects and taught me more trade skills. He believed I was ready and he was eager to step aside and allow me to pursue a future—build a life that included a wife and children.

My stomach rumbled loudly from the smell of freshly baked bread and treats from the bakery, and I realized—once again—I'd missed the noon meal. My mother has loved to tease me about the concentrated focus I have and my ability to tune the world out.

"Afternoon, William." A chorus of voices welcomed me as I approached the small goods display, but one stood out above the others. I took a deep breath and prepared myself for what was to come. I didn't know when I'd suddenly become the object of Fiona's flirtations, but sure enough, as I glanced around I noticed her heading toward me.

"Isn't this a pleasant surprise!" She batted her eyelashes at me, and I tried not to pull away when her fingers stroked my bicep. She gave it a squeeze before dropping her hand. Judging from her look, I wasn't sure whether she wanted to sample the crusted bread still cooling from the oven or me.

"Hello, Fiona. How is the tavern today?" I asked in an attempt to steer the conversation away from anything personal. Her confidence faltered slightly.

"It's the same as always. Will you be coming in tonight? We could share a tankard of ale together and you can tell me about your day, maybe enjoy a stroll by the river afterward." There it was—the hope in her eye—and I covered my mouth to stifle a cough. I did not want to hurt her feelings. I'd made the mistake of flirting with her once, and she'd been relentless in her pursuit ever since. She was a beautiful woman but not the one for me.

"Not tonight. Father has me busy with the Midsummer Night's preparations. I imagine I'll be up to the early hours of the morning. But thank you." I offered her a smile, and watched as she opened her mouth to continue. I was saved from any further attempts by the baker asking for my order. Seeing her chance had disappeared, she quietly excused herself, and I let out a sigh of relief.