Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

William

Her kiss was all I could think about.

I tried to put her out of my mind, but the fourth time I missed the steel and struck myself with the hammer, my father stepped in and dismissed me. He ordered me to go clear my head. I didn't tell him how impossible it would be. The only way my sanity would be restored was if Aithne finally declared she'd be mine.

I left the forge as the afternoon slowly eased into night. I ambled about the village with no true destination. I wasn't prepared for my family's questions, and I didn't have the heart to sit with my tavern friends. In some ways I was more convinced than ever I'd made the right choice kissing her yesterday. The medallion burned a hole in my pocket and reminded me there was only one place I needed to be right now—with her.

I'd told her I was a patient man—that I'd wait for her to come to me—but who was I fooling? Since the time I'd declared my intentions by the river, nothing was more important or clear than my need for her. I was done ignoring it, casting it aside. I wasn't going to let go of her without a fight. I just didn't know who I was competing with.

Kicking stones along the path, I thought about who her other suitor might be. As far as other men within the village, I was certain I was the better catch. I came from a strong family and had already proven I would be a good provider with the completion of my apprenticeship. I was well respected amongst my peers. I maintained a wholesome lifestyle void of drinking and gambling, and I wasn't a womanizer. There were no bastards running around baring my features, and when I gave my heart, I gave it completely.

I pulled out the small token I'd crafted from my pocket, my thumb rubbed the design I etched into the metal. Twice I wanted to give it to her, but my sense of honor demanded I first speak to her father. It was the way it was done, and now the afternoon was free, I decided to do just that.

It didn't take me long to journey to her home on the outskirts of the village. It was a comfortable cottage surrounded by tall trees. The gardens, although small, were in full bloom and I could hear the chirping of birds as they made their nests. The still-shining sun, painted the perfect picture of happiness, and I made a mental note as I approached the homestead—I would build something similar for Aithne when she was my wife.

I knocked on the door, expecting to have her smiling face greet me, but instead it was the solemnness of her father's.

"William, my boy, what brings you out this way?" He looked over my shoulder from where I'd just come and then back at me. "If you're here for Aithne, I'm sorry but she's not receiving any visitors at the moment."

"Is she ill?" Concern filled my voice. "Is she hurt?"

He shook his head, perplexed. "I'm not quite sure. She hasn't left her room, and won't open the door even when I try to tempt her to come out. Hmmm, maybe she'll listen to you." He stepped aside, and gestured for me to enter the house.

"Sir, maybe that's not such a good idea. Perhaps she just needs some peace. In fact, it's you I've come to talk with. That is, if you have a moment to spare." I was suddenly nervous now the time had finally arrived. It didn't help that Aithne was somewhere within the house. It took all my effort to not brush past her father and seek her out. The idea of her hurting or distraught didn't sit well with me.

"Why of course—follow me then. A talk you say?" He cast me a knowing look, and chuckled as I strained my head to glance around. "We'll discuss your business in my study."

I nodded as I gathered my courage, and—closing the door to the room behind me—offered up a silent prayer.

She holds my heart. Please let me be worthy enough to hold hers.