Chapter 11

Chapter Eleven

The next several days passed in a blur of excitement. Eirian showed me everything about her kingdom; secret passages into the castle, the far fields where food was grown, small exterior villages, and I even saw my first troll. That was exciting—for me, even though she called them ugly, distasteful creatures that no one should ever be excited over.

The Fae did have horses after all—fine specimens that were used in the flat lands where the food was grown. I could've spent the whole day just inspecting their stock. Eirian teased me, saying she never knew she would have to compete with a horse for my affection. I just laughed and continued looking—wondering if the king would one day allow me to work out here with them. I knew Eirian said I didn't need to work, but I wanted to. I missed it. I enjoyed it.

The only time we stopped our explorations was to eat and to make wild, passionate love together. Being so free with someone like this was invigorating and refreshing. She allowed me to feed from her often—in short delicious bursts—and on occasion she drank from me as well.

We'd been together seven days now, life was wonderful, and I couldn't be happier. Today she was showing me where the boundaries of Faery met my world and where safe passages could be found in between both places during the Midsummer's eve.

If I were being truthful, I wasn't paying much attention to the things she was telling me, instead allowing my gaze to drift over her beautiful form and the way her hair blew in the soft breeze. I knew I'd never tire of looking at her. She was the most stunning woman I'd ever seen.

She paused and turned to look at me with a smile, but I could tell it didn't reach her eyes. They looked sad, almost mournful.

"Are you all right?" I asked.

She nodded. "I'm just tired. Why don't we sit and rest for a spell under this tree?"

I placed my hand on the small of her back, helping her to sit before I joined her.

"If you're tired, let's return to the castle after you've rested. There's no need for you to show me every bit of Faery right this minute. We have a lifetime to explore together."

She looked away, but I could see the tears in her eyes. She was blinking rapidly, trying to keep them from falling over the red-rimmed edges.

"Eirian. Talk to me. Something is wrong and I need to know what it is, so I can help." I placed my finger under her chin and turned her face toward me.

Her bottom lip quivered. "Just kiss me, Bran."

I did. It was one of the easiest things for me to do. I needed her, wanted her. She was as essential to me as air. My hands tangled into her hair, pulling her closer, and she shifted so she was straddling my legs.

She broke away. The tears streamed steadily down her face and she took a big breath.

"Bran, look at me."

I locked gazes with her—unable to pull away.

"I love you. I will always love you, and on some subconscious level, I hope you will remember that. I'm setting you free, returning you to the life you had before."

I wanted to scream out and tell her to stop, but I was unable to speak.

"You don't remember, but you asked me to enchant you once more so you could live out the last days of your life happily. You made me promise I would help you do what was best. Well, this is what is best. I can't live knowing my actions would've caused your death. So I'm returning you to your people.