Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Aithne

Lying in my bed, staring up at the ceiling, I was restless. The events of the day kept churning around in my mind, and I couldn't get comfortable no matter how hard I tossed and turned. There was a pressure dwelling within my chest—an incessant need to see Hadrian that I couldn't quiet.

Throwing caution to the wind, I quickly dressed and crept through the house. I had never snuck out after dark before, but it was as if I was possessed by a rebellious spirit and my actions were not my own. I didn't know where I was going—only that somewhere out there was Hadrian and I wouldn't rest until I heard his voice.

Softly I closed the door behind me and ran toward the village. It felt as though the heavens were aiding me as the glow from the moon and stars helped guide my path. Everything about me was still with most of the homes darkened as people retired to bed. I was careful to make as little noise as possible, not wanting to awaken anyone and be escorted home.

I cut through the village center and took the trail that led toward the river. Shadows that would once scare me were ignored—I didn't have time to be afraid. I didn't jump at the sudden hooting of owls or the various night creatures moving about in search of food. The closer I got to my destination, the clearer things became. Something was drawing me there. He would be waiting.

Disappointment crashed over me when I found the spot empty. I was completely alone, and the beauty of the moonlight reflecting in the still water was lost on me. Tears formed in my eyes, as a voice in my mind told me I would never see my Hadrian again. Maybe that's why he had come earlier, to say goodbye. The thought was devastating.

A crashing sound came from behind me, filling me with hope. I whirled around, ready to throw myself at him and tell him how much I'd missed him. But it wasn't Hadrian. It was William. I stepped back—my knees weakened by my distress—and struggled to compose myself.

What is wrong with me? I wondered. I did not like how consumed I'd become and how quickly the frantic feeling had taken over. My hands trembled and as William approached, I hid them within the folds of my gown.

"Evening, William," I said, not meeting his curious scrutiny.

"Evening, Aithne." He glanced about, a look of confusion on his face. "Why are you here? I thought something might be the matter when you rushed by without stopping. Are you alone?"

His last word reverberated inside my mind. Alone. I was alone. It was folly to think that anything could ever happen with Hadrian—nothing more than the foolish imaginings of a childish heart. But even my thoughts betrayed me, calling me a liar. I was in love.

"I am. I . . . I couldn't sleep so I decided a walk by the river might soothe me," I stammered, hoping he would accept my excuse.

"But it's late. This is not the time to be by yourself. The woods are teeming with all kinds of danger." His voice sounded concerned, and he took a step closer. "You could be hurt, Aithne. Does your father, at least, know where you are?"

I glanced over at the woods, the action causing pain to lance through me. Yes, the woods were filled with all kinds of things—danger and magic. At this very moment I was in more danger of receiving a broken heart than having my throat slit by a bandit.

"He doesn't. I didn't wish to wake him, and I thought I wouldn't be gone long." I wrapped my arms around myself, suddenly feeling the chill in the air. Instantly, William was shrugging out of his coat and placing it around my shoulders.

"You're shivering. You didn't even wear a coat. Where is your head? This is unlike you?" His last words were soft and full of concern. I couldn't stop myself from trembling now that I had started. William pulled me into his warm embrace and the shivering receded.