Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Aithne

The crowd was loud—the village meeting had not yet started. From the looks of things, most had come to see who would be declared the Midsummer Night's Mother Earth and Sun King, and I couldn't stop fidgeting. If there was ever a year I was desperate to hear my name called, it was this one.

"Don't fret, Aithne. I promise you, I woke up this morning with a good feeling. I also found a four leaf clover on my way to your house. See," Dierdre held it up, and sure enough there were four petals. "Luck is on our side."

"Let's hope so," I replied nervously, my head craned to see who else was here. Sure enough, Cora was preening herself, surrounded by her friends. She caught me staring, and cast me a smug smile. She tossed her blond curls over her shoulder, ready to gloat when her name was called.

"Ignore her, she's an evil wench."

"Who's an evil wench?" I was startled to find William standing beside me, looking to see who we were talking about.

"No one," I answered.

"Cora," Dierdre scoffed.

William turned and surveyed the small group of giggling girls. "I wouldn't worry too much, Aithne. You are by far the prettier choice." His face flushed slightly before he coughed and stuck his hands in his pockets.

"You will no doubt be asked to play the Sun King this year, William. I bet my lucky pebble on it." Dierdre gushed. I grinned at my friend—her excitement contagious. To her, everything was magical and held some ability to increase a person's fortune—the blue ribbon in my hair a testament.

"You keep your treasure." He chuckled. "I'm quite content to go as myself."

"Wouldn't it be romantic if Aithne and you were chosen?"

Both William and I shot embarrassed looks at Deirdre—blushing. I was mortified that he'd been put on the spot, and I didn't want him to feel he need answer. The look of horror on his face said it all, and I was spared from further comments by the hush that came over the crowd. William also looked relieved. Dierdre remained oblivious.

"We'll soon find out. Mayor Brimhal is here," I whispered. I spied the older gentleman passing through the crowd before rising up on the makeshift platform.

Mayor Brimhal, John to those who knew him privately, was an old friend of my father. Many a night they would sit before the fireplace, talk politics, and smoke their pipes until my mother called her husband to bed. Lately they'd taken to fishing, and it warmed my heart to know their friendship continued to be strong.

Village members stopped their chatter—paying respect to the man they'd voted their leader. He was honest, hardworking, fair, and at this very moment, had everyone waiting anxiously for his announcement.

"Welcome, welcome. It's so good to see so many of you this fine morning." He regarded the crowd with a proud smile on his face as he patted his side pockets and retrieved a piece of paper. "I won't waste any of your time and keep you from your labors. How about I tell you who holds this year's honor?"

"Yes, tell us!" The crowd cried out, and I grinned at Deirdre. It seems we weren't the only ones excited to find out. I joined in and cheered—my heart racing in my chest.

Lowering his glasses, he cleared his throat. "Mother Earth will be represented by none other than Aithne Gowan." A cheer erupted as my hand covered my mouth and tears formed in my eyes. Dierdre threw her arms around my neck as she shrieked, and I saw Cora huff indignantly.