Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Hadrian

I sensed her before I could see her.

My heartbeat began racing and a smile spread wide across my face. She'd come to our spot searching for me, and as I moved between worlds, I couldn't deny the excitement of seeing her again. This morning's glimpse had been over too soon—my impatience clouding my better judgment to resist revealing my presence before others.

As the familiarity of my home faded away to her green forest, I took a few steps forward, eager to touch her. I was invigorated. A tingling sensation I was becoming more and more accustomed to pulsed through me. There was something about being here with Aithne that was unlike anything I'd ever experienced in my existence. I craved it. I never wanted to let it go.

The branches withdrew as I passed through—the small wild flowers bowing their heads in respect, and I waved my hand gently. Fae magic diffused into the air, granting each plant and blossom an increase in strength and vitality. With each footstep the grass grew greener and sweet fragrances danced and swirled about. It was perfect.

Just before I broke away from the copse of trees and appeared in my beloved's view, a voice pierced my heart. It was hers—the soft melody in each inflection unmistakable. I wondered what she was doing. Was she speaking to me, waiting for me to respond? Disappointment, followed closely by anger, crashed around me as I heard a second person speak—a male.

Indecision warred within me. Do I barge into the clearing and demand to know why she was there alone with another? Or do I wait and watch, hoping it's an innocent exchange and nothing to be alarmed over? An even stronger part of me cried to go claim her as mine, and chase away anyone else who may have designs for her.

My head told me bluntly that it didn't matter—I was to enjoy a small, brief dalliance before settling back into my Fae lifestyle. Human matters were of little concern. But my heart, it whispered all kinds of forbidden things—of love and fantasies where I could keep Aithne by my side forever. Love was a different concept for the Fae, but surely it would be enough.

I stood in the shadows and watched, caution winning over. Studying the features of the male, I could tell he was somewhat older than Aithne and there was great affection between them. They were friends, but the words he uttered—this William—he wanted more, much more than mere camaraderie. He wanted the kind of love sung by minstrels, and a life filled with happiness and fulfillment. He wanted these things with my Aithne.

A feeling stirred—flared even—within my chest, and I found my fists clenched at my side. The more I listened, the stronger the urge to burst into the open and fight the human. These were promises and words I wished to speak, to offer. This was a life I wanted, with all the pretty embellishments, smiles and laughter. His dreams were possible—mine a fleeting hope.

I willed Aithne to reject him, utter my name, and tell this William that her heart belonged to another but she didn't. I watched the silence between them, feeling distraught over the sexual attraction I could sense from where I stood. There was something between them—something stronger than anything I had or could create with Fae enchantment. A bond. And in that moment, I loathed it with everything inside me. She was mine.

When he kissed her—when he dared claim the one thing I'd yet done for myself—the branch I'd been holding onto snapped. I hoped it would break their fixation and shatter the hold he had over her and cause her to look for me. But they were oblivious—all but for each other. I wanted to leave, but my feet were anchored to the ground. A voice murmured in my mind that this was a sign it was time to move on and forget her. I ignored it.