Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Aithne

We finished the dance in silence, questions burning my mind. Where was William? Had Hadrian hurt him? How had no one noticed? Yet I couldn't help release a sigh of amazement over how magical it was—the passion built between us as we swayed and moved back and forth to the music. Hadrian was a skilled and attentive dancer, and as he escorted me from the dance floor it was to whistles and applause. With the Midsummer festival in full swing now, the villagers began to form small groups, and the mead began to flow.

Tugging at the cord that bound us together, Hadrian finally removed the mask, and revealed his breathtaking features. His eyes twinkled with mischief, the corner of his mouth raised in a smile, and before I could begin plying him with my questions, he lifted his finger to my lips to still me.

"Not here." He handed the mask and cord to a passerby before he took me by the elbow and steered me away from the revelers. Other bonfires were in the process of being ignited, and there was a line forming of young men. Each one wanted to jump through the hot, towering flames.

We passed by my father who was already in deep conversation with the Mayor, and he lifted his tankard in salute—a knowing look on his face. He turned to his friend, whispered something, and they both laughed out loud before glancing back toward us. I didn't have time to query it as Hadrian continued to lead me away. He almost had me alone when I heard someone call my name.

"Where are you two slinking off to? Don't you know there's celebrating to be done? Look Aithne, they're about to start the Sun's spiral dance. William, you need to go jump across the fire as well," Dierdre chattered as excitement bubbled from her. I gave her a quizzical look, wondering why she couldn't tell I wasn't with William. Turning to Hadrian, he shook his head, signaling for me to not say a word.

"Just go with it," he whispered as we were lead back into the festivities, helpless against my best friend's enthusiasm. I took a flowered garland strand from her, and watching Hadrian join the men, I forgot my curiosity for the moment and joined in with the frolicking. Round and round we weaved in and out using our bodies to form a spiral, gathering others to follow as we went. The air was filled with laughter and music, and when I finally broke away—hot and thirsty—Hadrian was waiting with a tankard of mead.

"Here, drink." He lifted the cup to my mouth, and parting my lips, I swallowed the delicious liquid. It helped cool my body, and in good spirits, I swayed to and fro.

"You should try some as well." I said, taking and offering it likewise. His eyes never left mine as he took a mouthful. His tongue darted out to capture the small droplets that remained on his lips.

"It reminds me of a beverage we have back home. It has the same sweetness and ability to render a person senseless if too much is drunk." Hadrian winked, as he took my hand again. "Come, I'm sure you have many questions, and the night has only just begun."

Nodding, I placed the tankard on a table, and followed him back in the direction he'd originally taken me. I was curious whether our destination was Fae, but with a wave of his hand and a brief shimmer as we stepped into the tree line, I found myself in an enclosed nook within the forest.

It was beautiful and I stared in wonder as I watched the trunk of a strong tree bend until it formed a place to sit and the branches entwined to offer more security. Leaves burst into life to provide soft padding while violets bloomed—scattered all over—so that the ground was awash with purple. Small lights twinkled in the air, causing our secluded nest to faintly glow.

"How . . . ?" I stammered, not knowing what question I wanted to ask first.

"Just a little magic to make sure we're comfortable while we talk privately. I wanted to make this night perfect for you."