Chapter 3

Chapter Three

I was beginning to wonder if she was ever going to answer me. She seemed restless, almost irritated by my question.

"Is there something you're afraid to share?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No. I'm just not sure where to start. I don't know what will make the most sense." She turned to stare at me. "You're very astute, you realize?"

"What do you mean?"

She sighed as she stood and walked over to sit beside me. "Even though you came of your own free will, there was still a significant amount of glamour used to get you here."

"You're trying to tell me you've seduced me, aren't you? That I'm under your power." I knew enough about Fae lore and the sometimes devious ways they used to get the things they wanted.

Her eyes widened. "That's exactly what I mean. I've never met anyone who had enough presence of mind to keep asking questions. They just did what they were told."

I folded my arms, leaning back against the intricately carved headboard. "So, you're saying you do this a lot . . . seducing people." I wasn't sure how I felt about that.

"No!" she exclaimed, reaching to place her hand on my arm. "No, you're the first I've brought here. I was speaking of others who've found themselves with my people."

"How do I know you're telling the truth?"

Her hand fell away, and she looked toward the window.

"Fae cannot lie."

I snorted. "Is that so? Then why are there so many tales of awful things the Fae have done to humankind?" I felt bad for pressuring her, but she seemed so guilty of something.

"We are master crafters when it comes to words. There is always truth in what we say."

I laughed. "And that's the catch, isn't it? There may always be truth in what you say, but that doesn't mean it's not bent to shed a better light on what you wish us to see."

She remained silent, which only affirmed I was right.

"Tell me, Eirian," I spoke, and I couldn't help noticing the way her body trembled. "What is it that you don't want me to see?"

A look of alarm passed over her features. "Please don't ask me, Bran."

I groaned as she leaned in to place her body against mine—sending sparks all over me. "Why won't you tell me?" I asked through clenched teeth, as she ran her fingers up my neck.

"I will. I promise. I just want to be with you right now. We're bonded—married—and we have yet to celebrate it."

Staring into her eyes, I knew she was being honest. She would tell me all I wanted to know. And she was right—we were married. We had a lifetime to uncover one another's secrets.

I don't know why I hesitated, but I did—looking her over, studying her features as she waited for my reply. I wanted to both lose myself in her and question her at the same time. She was such an enigma to me.

The more I watched, however, the more I wanted. Finally, I wrapped my arms around her—my mouth descending to meet her upturned one. Regardless of not understanding why I felt so connected to her, it seemed natural to have her in my embrace.

More sparks flared to life between us as our lips touched, first softly, then harder and more intense.

Pulling her onto my lap without breaking the kiss, I threaded my fingers up into her long hair, and held her face to mine. Our tongues met, dancing together, our mouths frantically moving as if we'd been waiting for this moment for an eternity.