Seven

Chapter Seven

We were in her dance hall, and I was trying to decide where to go, what memory to visit that night. Emilee looked sad; she wasn't saying anything and didn't seem too interested in where we would be going.

"What's the matter?" I asked softly. "We don't have to go anywhere tonight, we cou . . ."

"No, it's not that," she broke in. Her head drooped and tears fell to the floor. I gathered her into my arms, remaining silent. She'll tell me when she's ready.

"My mom's funeral was today." Understanding filled me. The mother-daughter chapters of her life were over. She must feel so alone. There's no one left for her here. I wish I could stay with her every moment, to see her beautiful face and be there for her.

"What can I do to help you through this?" I didn't like to see her sad, even if she had a right to be. "Tell me what you need and I'll do it." She still didn't answer so I scoured my brain for something.

"Let's dance, and you can tell me about your mom." I held my hand out as I spoke. Slowly, she nodded and we assumed a dancing position.

"She was the most wonderful woman I ever knew," she said through her tears. "My biggest supporter, my toughest fighter. If I wanted to do something, she was the first person to tell me that I could."

"She sounds wonderful," I replied. "Tell me more."

For the next few hours, Emilee shared all of her favorite memories of her mother with me. As I listened, I wished that I could have met her. There was no doubt in my mind that Emilee's strength and passion had come from her. The memories brought smiles to Emilee's face as well, brightening her mood and leaving me with a feeling of satisfaction. We took a short break to catch our breath, and I found myself lost in her features once more. She seemed magical in the way she looked,

"Raith?" she questioned. Stepping closer, she caressed my face. "What are you thinking about?"

I smiled and took her hand from my cheek, grasping it tightly as I brought it to our sides. "I was thinking about how beautiful you are," I said truthfully. "You look like you could dance all night and still command any magic you wanted in the morning."

. . . She could command magic . . . The answer to my internal dilemma hit me like a lightning bolt.

"Emilee!" I exclaimed in excitement. "I can't believe I didn't think of this before!"

She looked at me, confused. "Think of what?"

"You said we would be together forever, right?" I was impatient and wanted to get right to the point, but I knew I should explain my thoughts and feelings first. When she nodded, I continued.

"I didn't know how we were really going to do that. All I could think about was how I'll live forever but you would be forced to leave me because you're a mortal. Just now I realized how we really can be together forever!" The conversation's sudden change of direction shocked her, but she still seemed to be following what I was saying.

"How, I mean . . . I don't understand," she frowned slightly. "How do you make a mortal immortal?"

My grin widened as she spoke. It all seemed so clear to me. "There is a way to do it," I laughed in relief. "Fae are immortal, but they aren't born that way. That's how we're able to grow and mature. When we reach the age of adulthood, our Glen mother works an old magic that makes us immortal. If she would do that to you . . . ,"

"Then we really could be together forever," she finished. She still seemed unsure of what I was proposing.

"Think about it Emilee," I pleaded. "There isn't anyone here for you anymore. I know that you're lonely and that you miss your mother. I would take care of you and show you the world for real—we could make new memories together!" I pulled her close and looked into her fearful eyes. "I love you," I said softly. "I want to be with you for the rest of my very long life."