Chapter 6 - Curfews Are Just Suggestions

In case you're wondering, "Ciara" is pronounced "Keer-ah."

~~~~

During dinner on Monday, Ciara still seemed as jealous as ever. She and two other Slytherins, Trilia Bones and Nico Jasper, all looked murderous.

Albus, Wren, and I left the Great Hall a bit earlier than normal to start on a six inch essay for Transfiguration that was due Thursday. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Ciara, Trilia, and Nico get up as we walked through the doors, and and subconsciously increased my pace.

Somehow, the trio of Slytherins caught up with us in an empty corridor. I whirled around and pulled out my wand, but Ciara pointed her wand at me and yelled, "Stupefy!"

I flew into a wall, but quickly the stunning sensation faded. All I felt was pain coursing through my head where it had connected with a windowsill. My vision was a bit blurry as well.

Before I could get up, Ciara was standing in front of me. She pulled me to my feet and shoved me back against the wall, making pain sear through my skull.

Trilia and Nico blocked Wren and Albus from running in to my rescue, not that they looked like they really wanted to, but they made a valiant effort trying wriggle past the two Slytherins. Nico and Trilia were too quick, though. They grabbed both of my friends and pinned their arms behind them.

"What spell did you use?" Ciara asked me, glaring at me.

"What?"

"You know exactly what I mean! You had to have used some sort of spell to get onto the Quidditch team. What was it?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I hissed, ignoring the pain in my head. "I got in on talent alone."

"Did you confund the captain?" she asked, pointing her wand at me casually. "Or maybe you used a spell on the Snitch? What did you do?"

"Nothing!" I shouted, reaching for my own wand.

Ciara grabbed my arm and twisted it away from my wand, upwards. Pain shot through my arm, and I gasped. "Let go!"

"Tell me what you did!"

"NOTHING!"

Ciara pointed her wand at my chest. "Impedi-"

"PROTEGO!"

Ciara was thrown backward several feet, and looked stunned for a few seconds. I turned towards the others to see Wren holding her wand out, looking just as shocked as everyone else.

"What was that for?" Ciara asked, dusting off her robes, looking a bit unsteady. "I wasn't really going to hex her!"

"Well now you can't, even if you weren't, because that was a shield charm," Wren said shakily. Trilia didn't move as Wren slipped out of her grasp and quickly stepped over to Albus. Nico quickly let him go, backing away a few steps. Wren grinned weakly at me. "Let's go." We walked up the stairs, but as soon was we were out of sight, we broke into a run.

"Where did you learn to do that?" Albus panted as we stumbled through the portrait hole into the safe territory of the Gryffindor common room.

Wren shrugged. "I've seen a lot of people do it, so I decided to try," she said, somewhat evasively. "Couldn't hurt, right?"

"It was perfect!" I exclaimed. Wren smiled hopefully.

"You really think so?"

"Yeah," Albus said, "you were great!"

"Maybe Ciara will leave us alone..." Wren said wistfully.

I rolled my eyes. "Like that'll happen. Hey, where was Scorpius, though? I thought the Malfoy twins were a packaged deal."