Chapter 18 - Imperio

May wore on, bringing another attack (a first year Hufflepuff named Robby Thomas), and more panic. The only things bringing hope to me were that Clarissa was doing a lot better, and that school was almost over and the attacker still hadn't found what he needed. We only had one more month, then everyone would return home, safe.

Not that I exactly wanted to return home, wherever that was. I didn't even know where I'd end up over the summer, though a group home was the most likely answer. The Lewis's had probably told the Foster system they didn't want me anymore way back in September, and they wouldn't go to the trouble of finding me a foster family for two months every year.

But, still, that would be all right with me if it meant that everyone else was safe as well. Anyway, James and Albus had already promised that I was spending at least a month with them over the summer, and they were making Wren fly in early as well.

Ciara and Nico had been leaving us alone ever since Wren jinxed Nico's hair. We couldn't really figure out why, but my best guess was that they didn't want us eavesdropping again.

The week before exams, I made Wren come outside, and not bring any books, which she loudly protested against. She finally gave in to my my stubbornness, though, and followed Albus and me outside to the lake. We sat with our backs leaning against a large tree, completely concealed from the castle and anyone coming to look for us.

"So, excited for the summer?" Albus asked, staring out at the lake. The giant squid was visible just beneath the surface, rippling the water as it glided around.

I shrugged. "Don't leave me at the Lewises too long, all right? It was bad enough when I was just slightly strange...now I'm a freak."

"Hey, you might not even have to go back there," Wren said optimistically.

Of course, I probably wouldn't have to, but I was preparing myself for the worst. A month with the Lewises was definitely the worst.

Instead of answering, I shrugged again. "What're you doing this summer?" I asked her.

It seemed like her smile flickered for a moment, but I suppose I imagine it because she was grinning a second later, and shrugging. "Just being lazy and bored until I can fly back here, I suppose. I don't really know. There's not much to do where I live. The ocean's too cold to swim in and there's no one about, anyway."

"Where do you live, exactly?" Albus asked.

"Maine."

"Where's that?"

She blinked at him. "What do you mean, 'Where's that'? You don't know where Maine is? You know it's a state, right?"

"The only states I know about are New York, Texas, and Hawaii," I confessed.

Wren gaped at us, and muttered something about Texas that sounded insulting, then tried to explain where Maine was. This resulted in Albus looking more confused than before, and me trying to tune her out, finally vowing I'd look it up once I got back to the muggle world.

Eventually, our talk trickled to nothing. We sat in peaceful quiet, watching some older students pet one of the giant squid's tentacles.

Albus abruptly threw his arm out, a signal for quiet, as if we weren't already. I was about to ask him what he was doing when I heard it too.