Chapter 7 - The Cruciatus Curse

The first few weeks of school flew by. Ciara and Nico went out of their way to make life terrible, but that was fine because it gave James and me an excuse to constantly plot pranks to pull on them. James turned her hair purple with a spell once, and I hexed Nico so he would only be able to sing every time he spoke for the remainder of the day, which made Potions, normally my least favorite class, pretty fun.

By the end of October, I couldn't believe it had been two months. This was more like home than the Lewis's house had ever been. To be honest, I somewhat resented the fact that I was stuck with their last name. At least until I was shipped off to a new foster family. Mr. Lewis had made it pretty clear they didn't want me back. I was a "problem child."

Victoire Weasley seemed incredibly intrigued by the British foster care system. I didn't know how she hadn't heard of it, but I told her as much as I knew about it.

Hogwarts was a strange place for me. I wasn't used to attention at home. Here, I was constantly surrounded by friends and teachers, and the excitement was fun. Especially right before our first Quidditch match, against Slytherin.

The team gathered in the locker room, waiting to go out to the field, and I felt like my insides were being violently shaken by an annoying five year old who seemed to think my stomach was a lava lamp. In fact, most of the players look nervous.

Ryan clapped his hands to get our attention. "All right, listen up! Today is an important day! First game of the year! It'll be an easy win, I believe. We've practiced hard, and our team is amazing. The best team Gryffindor's had in years! If we perform like we did in practice, the Quidditch Cup is guaranteed to Gryffindor. So let's get out there and win!" Everyone cheered, then grabbed their brooms to head out to the pitch. I picked up the school broom I was borrowing and followed at the back of the procession.

Ryan pulled me aside as I walked out the door. "You all right?"

I nodded, but I think my pale face and shallow breathing told a different story.

"Listen, Astra, you'll be fine. You've been perfect during practice." He smiled encouragingly. "Ready?"

I didn't have much choice, so nodded and followed him to the pitch. The referee gave us the signal to mount our brooms, then blew her whistle. Our brooms soared into the air. Patrick Shaw, a Gryffindor fourth year, was commentating.

"The Quaffle is taken immediately by Ryan Ham from Gryffindor, excellent Chaser-he passes it to Jaycee Bell, who dives, narrowly dodging a Bludger-"

I listened to the game, not daring to stop my scanning of the pitch to watch what was happening. Luckily, Shaw seemed like an able commentator.

"-AND SHE SCORES! Caroline Long has scored the first points in the game, ten for Gryffindor! Woodrow Webb, Slytherin, take the Quaffle-he passes it to Miranda Wolfe-she's soaring down the pitch-dodges a Bludger sent by new Gryffindor Beater James Potter, a very competent young player, son of Harry Potter, youngest person to get on a House team in a century, though now the new Seeker-"

"SHAW!" one of the teachers yelled.

"Right, sorry Professor, anyway, Wolfe passes the Quaffle to Benjamin Flem-OH! Jaycee Bell swoops in to steal it-off she goes-she's going to sco-no, stopped by Slytherin Keeper Christine Nunez-Slytherins take the Quaffle-Webb dives around a Bludger sent by Fred Weasley-OUCH-hit in the back by another Bludger, compliments of Potter-Quaffle taken by Gryffindor-"

I zoomed out of the way of an incoming Bludger, and I heard the Slytherin Beater who sent it my way cursing. The opposing Seeker, Caleb Goyle, glared at me from across the field. I quickly set my attention back on finding the Snitch.