Chapter 17 - Children of the DA

AAAAAAAAH THANKS FOR 1K READS!

~~~~

The announcement the next morning was made by Professor Potter, and sent the school into a whirlwind of panic. In one night, the amount of attacks had doubled, even if Elias, Trilia, and Wren were all back with their Houses after only a night in the hospital wing. It took a full five minutes for Professor Potter to calm the chaos enough to speak over it.

"Students, I know this seems bad, and you're all scared of more attacks, but it is easily avoidable. Do not go anywhere alone, and do not leave your common room after curfew." Was it just me, or did he glance longer at James and I than anyone else when he said that?

The attacker hadn't been caught. The aurors had spent all night searching the entire school and the grounds, but no one was out of place. All they'd manage to do was disturb the house elves in the middle of the night, making our food this morning below average, most likely due to sleepy kitchen staff.

All the Gryffindor first years now moved as a pack. The other Houses' first years copied this practice, except Luna, so that it wasn't unusual to see a group of five boys and a few girls waiting outside the girls' lavatory while two or three girls used the bathroom. That was a bit too strange for my liking, and James' and my close calls had given me an insane amount of courage, so I refused to join the Gryffindor first years. Instead, I dragged Albus and Wren around by ourselves.

The day after the attack, we found James and rushed up to the library. We holed up at a corner table with every book about Dumbledore's Army we could find.

"Based on last night, I'd say we're on the right track," James said, lacking his usual grin. I understood how he felt; for once, I didn't really want to be right.

Wren frowned at Albus, then turned her gaze to James. "What are you talking about?"

"Didn't we tell you guys?" James asked. "We think the attacks have something to do with Dumbledore's Army. I mean, think about it. All the attacks so far, other than yours, have been on children of DA members." He pushed a book containing the list of members over to Wren.

"And anyway, yours was just because you happened to be there," I added.

"I wouldn't consider it an attack..." Wren said, studying the list. "I only got stupefied."

James shrugged. "Exactly. It makes sense. See..." He pointed to several names and listed the children of each member.

Albus sighed. "But why would they be attacking DA members' kids? That doesn't make sense, especially if they're looking for something..."

I gasped suddenly. "But it does! What if he knows the kids don't know where something is, but he's trying to get the information out of their parents by torturing their kids?"

James grinned at me. "That's brilliant! And that would explain why he hasn't been using a silencing spell on them. He wants people to find the kids and he wants the kids to say what he asked!"

Wren frowned. "But that still doesn't explain what she's looking for."

"She?" James asked, confused.

Wren crossed her arms. "It could be a 'she.' We don't know." Albus rolled his eyes.

Sighing, James said, "Whatever, he, she, it, they're still a criminal."