Chapter 16 - Sneaking Out Saves Lives

Everyone was on edge. Three attacks so far. No one went anywhere alone, and this time it stayed that way. After two weeks had passed, people were still just as terrified. Other than Luna, no one went anywhere without at least two people with them.

The weeks passed, and Clarissa didn't return to class. James and I were occasionally allowed to visit her, and it wasn't very encouraging. True, some days she would be able to talk and sit up and would act perfectly normal. Some days, though, she would suddenly go from a normal, happy person to a lunatic. She was permanently strapped into the bed so she didn't wander off, because when she wasn't in her right mind, she couldn't remember anything, and would end up hurting herself if given the chance.

James carried the map and the Cloak with him all the time now. He felt a lot of guilt about not having the map when Rose and Clarissa were attacked. "If I'd only brought it, we'd know who did it."

Wren seemed to be getting more nervous as time went by. She wasn't eating as much, and it was starting to worry me. I could tell Albus noticed it too, but neither of us had any idea what to do about it.

February dragged on, and nothing happened. The skies turned into a dismal gray, and the rain seemed permanent.

One Friday at the beginning of March, James and Albus both received identical letters. I glanced over at Albus's and saw, in large, sloppy handwriting,

Dear Albus,

I know you get Friday afternoons off, so would you like to come and have a cup of tea with me around three?

I haven't spoken to ya recently. Feel free to bring your friends and all.

Hagrid

Albus glanced up at me. "Wanna come? And you too, Wren?"

"Sure."

"Come where?" Wren asked.

"Hagrid's for tea later."

Wren shrugged. "All right."

"What's Hagrid like? I've only met him once, when he took us across the lake."

Albus stared at me. "You've only met him once?" I nodded slowly. "What? How? James and I haven't taken you to see him?"

I shook my head. "No..."

Albus sighed dramatically. "Well, it's about time you did."

The day dragged on slowly. Luke managed to melt another cauldron in Potions, and I wasn't paying attention to what I put in my potion and made it all evaporate by adding too many horned slugs.

Three o'clock sharp, James met us at the huge entrance to the castle. He warned us not to eat the food unless we wanted to break a tooth, then we dashed across the lawn towards Hagrid's hut, trying not to get too wet in the rain. By the time we'd reached his front door, we were soaked and shivering.

Hagrid opened the door for us, smiling, and quickly stepped aside so we could walk in. "Well, now, James, Albus, introduce me to yer friends here."

"This is Astra, and that's Wren," James said, sitting down at the large table.

"Nice ter meet ya," he said, holding out one of his huge hands for me to shake. I felt like my hand was being squeezed off, but he quickly let go. "Sorry. Forget my own strength sometimes."

We all sat down around his table, and James launched into a detailed description of the past month. Hagrid had heard about Clarissa, of course, but James relayed the whole story of how we'd scared the attacker off. I had to interrupt several times to correct him ("You did not duel with the attacker!"), which Hagrid seemed to find amusing.