chapter nineteen

I lay looking at the dark void that came from my eyes being completely glued shut and unable to be open. I try to move my limbs but I was stuck, paralyzed. Am I dead? Was my tragic wish granted? Was this hell? Heaven?

The only thing I could hear was the faint sound of voices, rapidly talking like they had to spit out all their words before they would be overheard. I concentrate every cell in my body on the voices, trying to catch even a single word that escapes the speakers' lips. I finally hear my name being mentioned and my eyes fly open, the pressure holding them down, lifted.

I'm greeted with a blinding light, obscuring everything else from my vision. I blink trying to focus my eyes on something less powerful. I vaguely see the outlines of what seems to be people, the same people that were just talking about me.

One of them starts cautiously walking towards me like I was a wild animal, their guard up and ready for some sort of retaliation.

"Belle?" the nameless face asks. I recognize the voice- it must be someone I know- but my vision was to cloudy to reveal the distinct features that would aid in my remembrance. The figure moves closer, one step at a time, until they were standing right above me. I stare right into their eyes and they stare right back.

The edges of my vision start to clear and slowly the rest of my vision follows. I instantly realize the person that had approached me was my brother.

"Belle?" He asks again. I try to reply but it seems as though my body physically cannot. It was as if an invisible weight was constantly over me, draining the energy in my body.

"It's okay Belle, you're okay. You are finally back home," he says in a baby-like tone, attempting to comfort me. Then everything that's as happened over the past few month came back to me in a train-wreck of memories.

Harry.

I hope he is safe, regardless of what happened between us I really want him to move on and have a good life. Find someone he could love. Just the thought of him loving someone who isn't me I felt another pang in my already torn heart.

I didn't want my brothers comfort, or either of my parents... I wanted to be enveloped in Harry's warm embrace. I look around and all I see is family, yet I don't want to be near them. Why should I? They abandoned me!

A nurse steps into the already crowded room, presses a few buttons and the next thing I now I'm out again like a cold light.

-----

The third time I wake up I am greeted by not only my family, but three police officers. I have yet to speak a single word, not because I couldn't but because I didn't have the desire to talk.

"Good afternoon Ms. O'Shea! I hope you don't mind if we ask you a few questions?" A tall officers asks in a much to cheery tone. I shake my head, not wanting to give any information to these people.

"I'm sorry but you have to talk," the officer next to him exclaims. I took towards my brother and he gives me the "you better fcking start talking now" look.

"Okay I will start with some easy questions today. What is the name of the man that captured you?"

"Jerry," I say sarcastically, they already knew this information so why the hell would they ask me again.

"Stop being difficult, please, we are only asking these questions so we can catch your captor," say a short, stumpy officer that hadn't opened his mouth up to this point.

"Okay next question, do you have any idea where Mr. Styles was keeping you hostage?"

"I have no fcking clue," I say bitterly, already fed up with these annoying officers.

I hear my mum gasp at my language "Belle watch your mouth!"

"So you have no idea where you were being held?"

"Isn't that what I just said?!"

"Can you give us some description of the landscape around the area you were being held?"

"I never saw the landscape," I lie, not wanting to give information of Harry for his own safety.

"That's not possible, you did escape the place you were held so their is no way you couldn't know the landscape."

I scoffed and stayed silent, they thought they could get me to talk and even them information they have another thing coming.

"Okay moving on, can you give us a physical description of Mr. Styles?"

"Short, blonde with blue eyes," I remark trying to hold back my laughter. The one police officer scribbles my words in his notebook, it seems as they bought my lie.

"Are you sure?"

"Of course."

The officer sighs and asks the next question "Did Mr. Styles ever hurt you in anyway?"

I reply with a simple "No."

My mum steps in front of the officers, gaining their attention. "I think Belle here has been asked enough questions for today, let the poor child rest." They nod and finally exit the room.

Once everyone has left the room expect my mum and brother, my mum takes her hand and slaps my cheek. I gasp and look at her with as much fury as I could muster.

"What the hell was that for?"

"For your damn stupidity! You think don't know that you lied to those officer? Because I do. Why the hell would you give them the wrong information?" Instead of answering her question I just glare, hoping she would drop the subject.

"Tell me Belle. Tell me now." My mother groans at my lack of speech and turns towards my brother, Derek, like he would magically have the solution.

He looks at me with curiosity, studying my face like the answer would be written on my forehead. Then it is as though something clicks in his mind and he looks at me with an unreadable expression.

"Belle, do you care for him?" I'm taken aback by his words, why would he think that? Why do I feel like the real answer to this question will only make things worst?

"You do don't you. You fcking care for the bastard that kidnapped you," he continues, his voice increasing in volume with every word.

"You are fcking insane! That man hasn't done you any good in your damn life yet you somehow care for him! What the hell is wrong with you?"

"At least he was there for me when my own family wasn't!" I replied, sick of the nasty words coming from my brothers mouth.

"Damn he tricked you good. You know what we call that? Stockholm syndrome," Derek said menacingly.

"You don't understand! He needs me like I need him! It's not Stockholm syndrome it's real!"

"How could you be so naive? Everything he has ever said to you is a lie! He only has wanted you to feel bad for him so you would take pity upon him. Damn it Belle how could you have not realized this?" I start to shake and cry, not wanting to listen to the poisonous words leaving his mouth. Just as I start to full on sob a nurse arrives to the room and forces my mum and brother to leave.

Sleep escapes me so I just lay in bed staring at the ceiling wishing I had never left Harry's warm embrace.