Chapter 5!!!

|~CHAPTER 5~|

Maid Juvia Lockser's POV

~*~

The stiff wind ruffled my apron as I stepped outside the palace. I glanced around and just saw barren land stretched farther than I could see. A large, red barn towered on my left, bales of hay stacked in a pile laid to my right. I frowned. Where were the lovely gardens and fountains I had imagined a palace would have???

"Ah, I see our sour blueberry has spotted our barn."

The singsong, deep, calming voice could only mean one thing. I turned slowly and stood face to face with Freed, our escort.

I glared at him and put my hands on my hips.

"How long have you been watching me...?!"

He smirked.

"Apparently too long. Now, why might you be out on this chilly evening? This cold surely isn't good for you... and hasn't Lady Mirajane worn you out yet?" Freed gave a knowing smile that melted the excuse off my tongue.

"I came out to get some fresh air. The room was hot."

"Well---"

"Freed, you baka, stop bothering the lovely lady. Go polish the saddles or something." A spine chilling voice cut through sharply. It had come from the barn.

I turned and saw... well, not what I expected to see. I was pretty sure he wasn't one of the princes; he was tall and muscular, he had slanted gray eyes, and startling bleach white, spiky hair. And, he was, well... bare chested.

He cleared his throat and I noticed that I had been staring. I blushed.

Freed snickered and smoothly bowed to the new guy.

"As you wish, m'Lord."

The guy dropped his cold demeanour and playfully jostled Freed.

"Relax, Freed. There is no reason to call me by that title. I am simply an instructor here. You may address me by my name."

Freed nodded and silently walked into the barn.

The bare chested man in front of me gave me a small smile.

"Hello. You must be part of our new maid group. I am Lyon Vastia, the fencing instructor for the princes. They would make excellent swordsmen if they didn't insist on fighting with their fists."

I nodded uncertainly, not knowing if I should say anything.

"However, I think fencing is a more reserved, and yes, beautiful way of fighting... wouldn't you agree?"

I just gaped at him.

He chucked in embarrassment.

"Ah, pardon me. I have a habit of rambling. Do shut me up if I do so. So. What's your name, dear?"

I blinked. "J-Juvia Loxar. It's a pleasure to meet you, sir."

Lyon bristled in amusement. "Why do you call me that? I'm hardly older than you. I'm turning eighteen next month!"

I must've seemed astonished, because Lyon rolled his eyes. He pointed in the direction of where the moon hovered; a full moon, its light shining on the whole estate.

"Over there's my arena; Freed and I share the 'backyard' I suppose you could call it."

I frowned.

"What's this land for anyways?! A magazine said this estate was several acres large!"

Lyon nodded.