Chapter 14

*trigger warning*

Camila's POV

After Lauren told me her mom was back in the hospital, she buried her face back into the crook of my neck as silent sobs racked her body. I held her in my arms and rubbed up and down her back, whispering that it would be okay in her ear.

She cried for about 10 minutes before removing her head from my neck. "C-can you drive me to the h-hospital? I don't think I can drive mys-self right now." She said sniffling and it just about broke my heart. I nodded, wiping the fallen tears from her eyes.

I interlocked our fingers before exiting the gym, Lauren right beside me. I hopped in my car and drove to the hospital Lauren's mom was at.

On the drive, Lauren just stared out of the window. I could still see tears sliding down her face and seeing her like that made my heart clench.

I would occasionally squeeze her hand and rub the back of it with the pad of my thumb. Once we got to the hospital, Lauren quickly rushed out of my car.

I got out and walked in slowly after her. When I walked in, I saw her Lauren hugging her two siblings Chris and Taylor while their dad was sitting in the waiting room with his head in his hands.

I felt awkward and didn't want to intrude on their family moment so I sat myself a few feet away from Lauren's father.

Lauren kissed both of her siblings foreheads before making her way over to her father. I watched their interaction closely. Lauren's whole demeanor changed almost immediately as she tried to talk him. He lifted his head from his hands, looking at Lauren with the most unreadable expression.

She flinched as he said something to her, she nodded and watched him get up and storm out of the waiting room.

She wiped her eyes before connecting her red, puffy green ones with my brown ones.

I gave her a small smile before she came walking over to me. She pulled me into another hug, clinging to me for dear life. I kissed her jawline lightly, lingering there for a moment. I could tell she wasn't in the mood for talking so I just let her lay her head against my shoulder. I locked our hands, kissing the back of hers softly.

I kissed her forehead, "It's going to be okay babe. Whatever it is, it'll be alright." She didn't say anything but turned around and hid her face in my shoulder.

We were still in the waiting room after an hour waiting to hear the news. Lauren hadn't said anything yet and I don't think she planned to anytime soon.

After sitting in silence for 20 minutes, she looked up at me. I hated seeing her eyes so red, puffy, and sad from crying.

"You don't have to stay here. I know it's not-," I quickly stopped the basketball player.

"I want to," I smiled reassuringly at her. I guess she didn't feel like putting up a fight and quickly agreed, laying her head against my shoulder.

We waited another 30 minutes before the doctor came out.

"Family of Clara Jauregui," the doctor annouced. Lauren and her two siblings got up instantly and met with the doctor. I wondered where Mr. Jauregui was. I stayed in my seat as I waited for them to come back.

I fiddled with my fingers as I thought back to Lauren and her father. How come everytime she talks to him or speaks about him her whole body language changes? She seems so afraid of him sometimes and a kid should never be afraid of thier parents. She's usually so happy and then when it comes to him her mood changes. I want to ask her about it but I don't want to be overstepping any boundries also. I'm so conflicted.