The Housemaid - Chapter Seven

Seven: THE FIRST MORNING

After changing back into her clothes, Christine left The Wanted Mansion back home to pack for a week worth of clothes, along with a few prized possessions to bring. Even though she was moving into a new place and was able to go home for the weekend, it still felt like she was leaving her family for a while. Her siblings took her out for dinner to her favorite restaurant at their local mall, Glendale Galleria in Glendale, Red Robins, and spent a few hours with her before she leaves.

The next early morning, Christine said her sweet goodbyes to her favorite people and was on her way. It was only nearly seven in the morning when she arrived; she expected that the band members were still fast asleep.

She drove through the garage, where there were a few more cars already parked inside. She wasn’t surprised that this humungous garage could fit at least ten cars. With her large duffle bag and handbag, she entered through the door that led to the laundry room.

It was obviously empty, but she could hear people talking. There were two other doors that led to the kitchen and the basement; she went through the basement, and walked down the steps. Lights filled the whole staircase and the long corridor that she saw as she reached the bottom. The corridor was an equivalent to cruise ship halls. She remembered Sandy told her that her room was straight down the hall at the very end, so she followed the long red rug that led her there. She saw a women’s shower room in the very middle. The men’s dorms must have been on the other side.

The door was already opened. Christine also remembered that she was going to be rooming with someone; she wasn’t sure who, but part of her wished it wasn’t Lyla or Jenna. When she went inside, she felt relieved.

Her new roommate was one of the chefs, Erin, whom she met briefly yesterday. She was probably the second oldest out of all the staff not including the head staff—27—and perhaps the nicest. She was average looking, with black hair and blue eyes, and in some ways, reminded her of Monica from F.R.I.E.N.D.S., because she was already sanitizing her dresser.

“Oh, hey!” Erin grinned as Christine walked in and dumped her bags on the empty bedside. “Guess we’re roommates.”

“I guess so.” Christine began to look through her side of the room. The closet next to her bed was already filled with some clothes—three extra Housemaid uniforms.

“Sandy says to tell you that there are some extra uniforms for you in case something happens to the other.”

Christine brushed her hand against the uniforms. “Thanks. Did she say anything else?”

“Uh…everyone’s call time is usually an hour from now, so you should get dressed into your uniform.” Erin replied.

“Great, thanks.” So far, so good. Erin hasn’t annoyed her within the last five minutes of being here. As Christine pulled out the uniform that she wore yesterday and headed out to the women’s shower room, Erin stopped her.

“Do you mind if I sanitize your dresser, too? I’m sorry—I’m already dressed and I have nothing else to do but clean before the call time.”

“Yeah, sure.” Christine smiled kindly at her before she left. Nope, she was not annoying to her at all…

8am rolled in and Christine met Sandy and Lyla in the stock room, which was located next to the living room that viewed the backyard. The room was filled with metal shelves that had bed sheets, pillow case covers, blankets, towels, and, of course, cleaning tools and supplies.

“Morning girls! So here are your schedules.” Sandy handed Lyla and Christine each a booklet, which held in their weekly schedule. “You’ll get three breaks, use them wisely. Mondays are generally when you put in new bed sheets in each bedroom that you’re assigned to, Fridays are laundry days.”