The Housemaid - Chapter Twenty

NOTE: This chapter was difficult to write. I had to go back through the chapters because it's based on two specific characters...I know you've been waiting for this kind of scene. I hope you enjoy this because I think the next chapter will probably...make you freak out. You know that idea that scared me (that I mentioned on Twitter)...it won't happen in this chapter.

Anyway, happy 20th chapter! I dedicate this chapter to @LoveTheWanted97! Thanks for reading! :)

SPACE 

Christine sat on the patio swing for what seemed like half a day, but it really had only been three hours. She was able to take in the quietness by staring at the breathtaking view. Now that the sun was slowly setting, and the sky was growing dark, she wondered what everyone was doing inside the house and thought about going back.

At the same time Christine enjoyed the tranquility. She propped her elbow on the armrest and rest the side of her head on the palm of her hand. She began to slightly rock the swing back and forth; while doing so though, it made her slightly drowsy after sitting there for so long.

“Uh…hey.” She immediately stopped rocking the swing; that familiar Manchester accent of his was the last voice she wanted to hear. She felt his presence move closer to the chair, but she didn’t budge. Eventually he sat on the opposite end of the swing. “You have every right to give me the silent treatment right now…”

Christine wanted to punch him in the face. She wanted to shout at him for what he’s done and tell him how much his gesture brought her back to her past; how he was just like every guy she’s ever tried to date, or became friends with…like Matt.

But no, she knew he wasn’t like Matt…Max couldn’t be that guy. He must have a reason for ditching her. 

“Words cannot express how sorry I am,” he continued, but stammered. “…I never expected…about your parents…I-I should have considered your feelings first.”

Christine leaned back on the swing. She felt Max’s eyes on her, assuming it was a look of sorrow and guilt. She closed her eyes and sighed. “…Why did you do it?”

“I figured you’d want to spend more time with Jay, and I had already made a plan to go out with my mates—I know, I’m an idiot, me.”

“But Jay went out anyway.”

“I-I know…we both tend to turn to beer to cool off from each other…” He frowned. “I’m really sorry—I should have gone to you first. It was wrong of me to leave you.”

Christine still avoided his gaze and smoothed the skirt of her uniform. This rational confrontation from Max wasn’t so bad after all.

“I know I’ve wasted good seats for the basketball game, but I really want to make it up to you.” Max said furthermore. “We’ve never really offered any of this to the house staff, but tomorrow night we’ve got a gig at the Palladium…and I’d like you to come along with us. Watch us play from backstage. It’ll be a lot of fun.”

Christine still kept her mouth shut, but that didn’t mean she wasn’t thinking about his offer. It was a good deal—they have seen her work, now it’s time to reciprocate. 

Max stared at her expectantly, as if waiting for her response. But as a minute rolled past, he let out a sigh and stood up. “Guess I’ll leave you now.”

He began to walk away from the swing in slight defeat. Christine bit on her bottom lip and thought quickly about his apology. In result he did admit that he was wrong and was willing to make it up to her. She had to give him props for this confrontation anyway; most guys she knew would never even consider doing this. After his apology, she knew he wasn’t another Matt. She had to give him another chance. “Max.”