The Housemaid - Chapter Ten

NOTE: I may have said I may have written one of my favorite scenes here, but I'm not sure if it is. All I can tell you is that if you're freaking out after this chapter...I feel your pain.

Happy 10th chapter!

10: THE RETURN OF THE PAST (see my play on words here? today is Star Wars Day and... yeah :) anyway.)

With the boys back in the house, Christine was doing her best to not ruin her day job. She and Lyla spent most of the day in the laundry room folding laundry, but while they took their meal and personal breaks, Christine noticed that Max was always around. Every break, in her spot in the living room, he was either lingering around, or exchanging conversations with the staff or his band members. Some of those times she found herself tensed again, but others, she actually wanted him to come over.

It was when she and Lyla just finished placing the freshly laundered beddings back in the stockroom when Max finally went up to her.

“Hey.” Max began coolly.

“Hi…” Christine chuckled softly. Lyla nudged her shoulder before she left the stockroom to give them alone time.

“You’re a busy girl to get to.”

“Apparently so.” She closed the stockroom door behind her since Lyla left her. She wished she didn’t.

“So I was gonna ask you something earlier before Jay rudely interrupted…” He scratched the back of his head.

Shirtless Jay. Christine didn’t want to think of that. “You can ask me now.”

She anticipated the question. Max exhaled a deep breath, “Well, I was wondering if—”

“Chris! Sandy needs you!” From Christine’s stance facing Max, she saw Matt had his head poked out from the kitchen door. Max looked like he wanted to strangle Matt.

“Uh…just a minute?” Christine replied.

“She needs to see you now—”

Max interjected. “So, Aaron gave me tickets to go see a random basketball game and I thought to ask if you’d like to come with me.”

Matt gasped in the background, which made Max put on a silly smirk. Christine didn’t expect that question, let alone ask her to a basketball game. She remembered vaguely going to games when she was younger with her father…

Back to the question, however, it was a little startling how Max had somehow knew that she was also a fan of basketball. “A basketball game?”

“I already asked the lads earlier, and they weren’t interested, so my next quest was to ask—”

Matt suddenly came between them. “You know, Sandy isn’t getting any—”

“Oh my God, Matt, I’ll be right there!!” Christine groaned. She shoved Matt out of the way and dragged Max into the stockroom, where they could possibly have some privacy.

“You do realize he was only trying to get your attention?” Max seemed quite amused by what just happened. Christine shook her head and covered her face with her hands. She had to think about this. “…What? It’s not like I asked you a life or death question…”

“It’s not that, I’m just…” Christine removed her hands from her face and sighed. “I just wanted to get Matt out of the way. I’m really flattered that you asked me…who’s playing at the game?”

“Uh…it’s sometime next week…it’s supposed to be a big match: LA Lakers versus Boston Celtics. We don’t have courtside seats, but that’s alright.”