twenty six

THE HEADMASTER SEEMED to tower over Sophie

THE HEADMASTER SEEMED to tower over Sophie. A halo of moonlight circled his head. His gaze flickered toward Mr. Wolfe, and a flash of disapproval entered his expression. Then his gaze darted back toward Sophie. "How are you feeling, dear?"

Sophie tensed. Mental sirens blared inside her head. She couldn't shake the disturbed feeling that Headmaster ignited within her. Her fingers twitched. "I...I'm kind of shocked."

Headmaster frowned at her. "Do you need medical attention? Were you attacked as well?"

"No," Sophie said. Her stomach sank. A fresh wave of tears pooled at the corners of her eyes. Her voice shattered. "I just...I just found him."

Eli leaned against the fountain beside her. His shoulders slumped down. He pulled a knee to his chest and propped his elbow against it. His facial features twisted with pain. "What's going to happen to Alex?"

Sophie cringed and ducked her head. The image of those gashes flashed across her mind's eye.

Mr. Wolfe's hand found hers. His hand was calloused and rough against hers. The brief pressure reminded her of his presence. That tugging sensation returned; it made her heart thud inside her chest, and her body started to relax.

She ducked her head and wiped at her tears.

Headmaster's frown deepened. "Let's get indoors, shall we? It's chilly out."

Mr. Wolfe released her hand. A cold emptiness flooded through her, stemming from her palm. Her lips wrinkled with a frown. It took all she had not to reach out after him. He climbed to his feet and brushed his hands against his jeans. Then he turned back to Sophie, and held his hand back out to her.

Her heart seemed to sigh with relief. She reached out. Her palm pressed firm within his again, and he pulled her to her feet. "Thank you," she murmured. She wiped at her face again with her free hand.

His fingers squeezed hers again. Then his hand reluctantly drifted from hers. Sophie clenched her jaw and looked away, toward Eli. She folded her arms across her chest. Her hand ached to hold his again.

Mr. Wolfe bent and offered a hand to Eli.

"Thank you," Eli muttered. He stood and ran a hand through his hair, fingers combing through sandy strands. His mismatched eyes shimmered with unshed tears. He shuffled closer to Sophie and shoved his hands into his pockets.

Headmaster coughed. "Right then," he said. Sophie glanced at him. She noticed that his gaze focused on Mr. Wolfe, and his eyes were stony. "You are dismissed, Wolfe. Your presence is no longer needed. You may return to your quarters, as I'm sure you have a busy day planned for tomorrow."

Sophie's eyes widened. Her heart pounded inside her chest, frantic. Her gaze snapped toward Mr. Wolfe, and her insides tightened. She didn't want him to go.