twenty seven

SOPHIE WOKE THE next morning tucked up tight in her bed, with a warm sensation pressed against her back

SOPHIE WOKE THE next morning tucked up tight in her bed, with a warm sensation pressed against her back. Her thoughts drifted. Alex's lifeless body flashed across her mind's eye. Then Eli, and his quiet, messy sobs. It took her a few moments to realize that she was too hot.

"What the...?"

She rolled over a bit. She couldn't move much. An arm tightened around her waist, and pinned her in place. Her cheeks flamed when she realized that the arm was connected to Eli.

"Eli!"

He snorted. His eyes fluttered open and he looked around, confused. His eyes had reddened after a heavy bout of crying. The skin beneath them looked puffy. "What's going on?"

"I don't know," Sophie responded. "You tell me."

His gaze shifted downward. She watched his eyes grow wider. "I'm sorry," he mumbled. He shifted backward.

The movement proved too much for the small bed to handle. He rolled over the side and Sophie bolted up, arms outstretched in an attempt to help him. Eli managed to catch himself. He stood and rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

A heavy snore tore their attention toward the opposite end of the room. Her roommate rolled over in her own bed. The blankets around her shifted, engulfing her. She looked like a burrito.

Sophie pressed a hand against her mouth to stifle her laughter. Eli just looked confused.

She climbed out of bed and patted Eli's shoulder. Her heart sank a bit. Her thoughts flashed back to the night before, and she shivered. Eli followed her out into the main room, scratching at his butt.

"What's on the agenda for today?" she asked. She opened the fridge and grabbed an apple. She offered one to Eli and he shook his head.

A yawn tugged at his lips. "I don't know, exactly." He leaned against the counter top, his arms folded against the granite. "Headmaster said that the games would carry on like normal. I'm sure that he will increase security around campus. Today will most likely just focus on the test retake."

"And what will I have to do for that?" Sophie leaned against the side of the fridge. A fresh wave of exhaustion flooded through her. She took a bite of her apple.

"You'll get to sit with me." Eli beamed.

Sophie nodded. She remained quiet for a few moments. Then she asked, "What do you think caused those marks?"

Eli squinted. "What marks?"

"The...gash marks on Alex," Sophie explained, hesitant.

He blanched. His expression darkened, eyes clouded with sadness. "Do you want the honest answer?"

It took her a moment to consider it. Then she nodded.

Eli stalked over toward the table and plopped into a chair. He gestured for her to do the same with his hand. Sophie padded over and eased into the chair opposite of him. She rested her hands in her lap, her back pressed flat against the chair. Her fingers twisted and fiddled around each other, nervous.

He steepled his fingers in front of his mouth. "If you weren't already aware, the Night Class is just a collection of vampire-fledglings."

Sophie flinched. Aubrey's icy glare crossed her mind. "I think I figured that out a while ago," she commented. She just didn't want to believe it.

Eli smiled. "I kind of figured as much. I just wanted to be sure before I jumped into all the technicalities." He sucked in a breath. "Alex was a vampire."

She nodded. Her gaze dropped toward the table. "Aren't vampires supposed to be immortal?"

"No," Eli said. His gaze flickered with amusement. "Nor do we sleep in coffins. The sunlight does kind of bother us, but we don't burst into flames or anything silly like that. It just makes us sleepy."

"And you eat normal food," Sophie added. Her eyebrows puckered with confusion. "Not blood."

A sheepish expression flashed across his face. "Somewhat. We do need blood; it keeps our organs pumping. We just don't need it as much as older vampires do, like Headmaster."

Sophie nodded like she understood. Eli smiled again. "I'll go into more detail about that later, I promise. Let's get back to Alex."

He leaned back and folded his arms across his chest. "Vampires aren't the only mythical creatures that actually exist. Werewolves, ogres, and witches too. Fairies went extinct about the time when humans first invented the automobile. They kept getting hit by the cars."

"Like bugs?"

Eli nodded. "Fairies were like super small though. It was hard to see them." Then he shook his head. "Vampires aren't immortal, but we are harder to kill compared to mortals. In order for us to die, the blood in our bodies has to completely drain. And with our fast reflexes and superb strength, it's near impossible."

"And the only thing that could make marks like that..." Eli started. Then he grew real quiet. He rubbed at his cheeks and frowned. "The only creature that I can think of with claws like that are werewolves."

Sophie frowned. A wave of questions rushed past her lips before she could stop them. "Are there even werewolves at this school? How could one get in?" Her eyebrows furrowed. "Why would they even want to hurt Alex?"

"Well, there is an actual wolf here," Eli said. Amusement flooded his features. "Even though this school is strictly for vampires and mortals. There's only one though. He's a lone wolf. I really don't know much about his past or what lead him to teach here."

"Teach?" Sophie stiffened.

Eli laughed, the sound humorless. "Yes, he's a teacher. Mr Wolfe is an actual werewolf. The last name is pretty ironic, isn't it?"

Then his expression darkened. "I don't think that Mr. Wolfe would do something like that, though. He may be a little bit of an outsider but that doesn't mean he'd kill a student."

Sophie nodded in fervent agreement. "He would never."

Eli smiled a bit. He ran a hand through his hair and shook his head again. "Then one must have gotten past our defenses. I'm not sure why Alex was targeted."

Her gaze dropped toward the table. Her expression changed, becoming somewhat disturbed. The idea of Mr. Wolfe as a snarling, dark furred wolf frightened her. The mental image of his razor like claws shredding Alex's chest scared her even more. Her stomach twisted with knots.

He had been the first one to find her...

How else could he have known where to find her so quick?

Sophie shivered. Then that tugging sensation returned. It filled her with a soft, comforting warmth. Her shoulders sagged a bit. Her head turned. She gazed out into the kitchen area and mentally scorned herself. He would never murder a kid like that, a small voice assured her.

Eli watched her, gaze thoughtful. His cheek rested in his hand, elbow propped against the table. She glanced back at him, her expression cautious. He opened his mouth to speak.

Then a loud, high pitched squeal pierced through the air.