thirty nine

"RELAX SOPHIE," the voice tried to soothe her

Her mind was a chaotic mess of jumbled thoughts and panic. It was hard to concentrate through the dazed fog that continued to plague her. If she could breathe properly, Sophie knew she would be hyperventilating.

Part of her suspected that she had just finally succumbed to all the stress. All of the events from the past several days had built up inside her. The shock piled against the wall that kept her crazy straight, until it just couldn't take it anymore. This creepy-mind voice was just her way of coping.

The other part of her --a small, very unliked part of her mind-- suggested that she might have just been insane all along.

The voice seemed to wait until the mess inside her mind died down.

As she started to breathe right again, the voice spoke inside her head again. "Please calm down," it urged. "You're not crazy, I promise."

Her jaw clenched. The voice was familiar, very familiar. She just couldn't place a name or face to it.

"I don't understand," she thought back. "What's going on? Why are you in my head? Who are you?"

The voice remained silent for a moment. Something passed through the back of her head; a feeling, an emotion that Sophie couldn't comprehend. It vanished just as quickly as it came.

"I've always been here," the voice answered. It was warm and gentle. It reminded her of smooth butter. "Our...unfortunate situations have just increased the strength of our link."

"Our link?" Sophie tried to frown. The jelly that she was suspended in made that impossible. "What the heck is that supposed to mean?"

The voice paused. When it finally responded, it seemed somewhat resigned. "I know that you've felt it before. Our communication wouldn't be possible without a bond between us."

"What kind of link do we have?"

"We have..." The voice trailed off. It seemed at a loss for words, and Sophie realized that she could feel the owner's emotions. The voice was a bit frustrated, and hurt. And in pain --so much pain. It mirrored within her own body; the nerves inside her wrist splintered, agony climbing toward her elbow.

The voice interrupted the pain, and pulled it away. "Stop. Don't think about that. Don't focus on what I feel. You'll hurt yourself," it warned.

Sophie remained silent.

The voice continued. It was hesitant. "I'm sorry, Sophie," it finally said.

"What are you sorry for?" she asked it.

"I imprinted on you."

Sophie didn't understand that. The voice obviously felt her confusion, and a warm chuckle floated within her mind. A sudden realization slammed into her like a freight train. She recognized that voice.