twenty nine

SOPHIE PUSHED Mr

SOPHIE PUSHED Mr. Wolfe from her mind.

Just the thought of him was enough to send her heart pumping into overdrive. She watched, disinterested, as the other contestants bolted across the platform. Her gaze traveled over each, picking apart the differences. The members of the Night Class bolted forward, like bullets. Their bodies were lean, and more athletic. Each member seemed better prepared for activities like this. The Day Class lingered behind, however, trudging along as fast as they could.

Then she settled her sights on Margret. She watched her struggle to get herself over the first obstacle. A small part of her hoped that Margret would fall.

"I just wish that you could have seen yourself yesterday," Eli murmured beside her. His words dragged her attention back toward him. He shifted a bit, his grip tightening on the back of her chair.

With an eyebrow quirked, she asked, "What do you mean?"

He glanced down. A stretched across his lips. He shook his head and licked his lips. "You were fast. Like a cheetah. The second Headmaster said go, you were almost finished with the first obstacle. It was just amazing."

A sigh escaped her lips and one hand clenched into a fist. "I guess I did a real good job at proving just how much I wanted to be here." Sarcasm dripped from each word like honey.

Eli's laughed. "Face it. You do want to be my mate deep down."

"Maybe," Sophie said, rolling her eyes. "Deep, deep down."

The contestants rushed toward the next obstacle, and then the last. Members of the Night Class dashed across the finish line. Most of the Day Class still struggled with the last obstacle. Sophie was pleased to find Margret fumbling behind most of the others.

Then the first game was officially finished.

As the other contestants gathered around the finish line, Eli stepped forward and turned toward Sophie. He held a hand out. She gave him a look and placed her hand in his, allowing him to help her up. "What happens now?" she asked.

Eli lead her down the stairs of the platform, Evangeline and Natalie trailing along behind them. He shoved his hands into his pockets. His gaze remained focused on the finish line. "I believe we'll take a break for lunch," he explained. "Then the second challenge will start."

Sophie scowled. "Just what I wanted to do." Then a thought struck her, and she tugged on Eli's arm. "Can I quit?"

He glanced down at her, shocked. "No."

"Drat," she cursed. She folded her arms across her chest and pouted.

Eli frowned at her. "Is it really that bad for you?" He slowed to a stop in front of the cluster of other contestants, ignoring Margret's obsessive look. "I thought you'd started to enjoy it."

"I just find this whole thing stupid," Sophie explained. "Like, it's kind of pathetic that the school interferes with your personal lives like this. And I feel like I'm being forced here against my will."