final

IT TOOK SOPHIE a few seconds to process what was happening

IT TOOK SOPHIE a few seconds to process what was happening. A clawed hand raced toward her and then pain exploded across her throat. She couldn't breathe. Her hands lifted to grasp at her throat but a hand blocked her. Angry green eyes filled her vision, and a raspy voice whispered in her ear.

"You're dead now."

Sophie heard Eli shout. Somewhere behind her, someone screamed. The hand inside her throat moved, retracted. A clawed hand appeared before her face, dripping in dark blood.

Headmaster towered over her. "You're too much like your mother," he sneered. Behind him, a horde of hunters and fledglings attacked. Headmaster glanced over his shoulder at them and smirked. A hand raised, he said to Sophie, "If only I had time to train you, my dear. Then you may have actually learned something."

A wall of wispy red smoke oozed from the earth around them. It created a barrier. Eli crashed against it, his sword raking across the redness. The metal squealed and snapped. A frustrated scream escaped Eli. He lashed out and started to punch the barrier.

"What is this?" Sophie croaked. Her hands remained closed around her throat. She could feel her skin struggling to knit itself back together. Around her, the rest of the world seemed to fade away as the barrier grew thicker.

Headmaster returned his attention to her. His eyes were narrowed, his hands clenched. "This is the power of an original vampire's blood. My demonic power is stronger than yours."

Sophie stared at him, clueless.

"The first vampires were created by a demon named Vladias, better known to the mortal world as Vlad, the Impaler. We were to serve in his army and help him conquer the supernatural world." The Headmaster seemed unable to resist the urge to teach a lesson. He crossed his arms and skewered her with a glare as he spoke. "My parents were part of that army, and I attempted to carry on his plans for domination after their demise."

"Why are you telling me this?" she rasped. Her throat was almost entirely healed now.

His expression hardened. "Because, my dear. I have failed here. I know that I will not survive for much longer. But you will live, and you will carry on in my stead."

Her eyes narrowed. Sophie twisted onto her side and attempted to stand. Her throat ached. Her fingers dug into the ground. "I won't do it."

"You won't have a choice," he purred. He lowered to her level and grabbed her chin. His gaze strayed lower, to her throat. His hand moved. He pressed the pad of his thumb against the hollow of her neck. Fire exploded across her skin, and Sophie screamed. She grasped his wrist and fought to pull his hand away. But Headmaster was stronger.

The flames faded. He wrenched her closer and glowered. "This is my curse to you, girl. You have been infested with my blood, with my darkness. As time passes, my blood will grow stronger. It will destroy your own. Even in death, I will be victorious."