What is Racism?(*)

A/N: This is my first one shot book for Pentatonix! I made another one but deleted it, lol. Requests are open! Nothing sexual, please. If you see this(*), then that means the oneshot will be really sad and depressing. I'll also out down trigger warnings at the beginning. Let's get started!
~~
(WARNING: Violence, racism, death)

Avi and Kevin Olusola were happily married with three adopted children, all at the ages of six, nine, and ten. The family lived in a nice, safe neighborhood were violence was a mere issue. Anybody of any color, race, sexuality, or gender felt protected in the environment. The married couple agreed that the location they were at was safe for their children and wanted to stay there until they went off to college.

The family was a small one, too. The dads, Avi and Kevin, adopted three children called Scott, Kirstin, and Mitchell. The children had really depressing reasons why they got adopted. Scott's parents died in a car accident when he was only three months, Kirstin's, or Kirstie, mother was single and unable to take care of her, and Mitch's parents were teenagers when he was born and no choice but put him up for adoption. The children all knew about their backstories and former parents. Although saddened by the reasons why their parents were unable to take care of them, they still loved their dads like they were their actual parents. The family is the happiest family in the block too. Everybody smiles at them whenever they go out or whatever. Everybody was envious of them.

~~

It was a Monday night when nine year old Kirstie looked at her father Kevin and tilted her head. Her brothers were doing their homework silently while their other father Avi helped them. She stared at her skin, Avi and brothers' skin, and then Kevin's. What she said made all heads turn towards her.

"Daddy, what is racism?" She asked innocently, her hazel eyes showing a gleam of curiosity. Kevin looked down at her and looked up at Avi. Avi was trying his best to find a correct answer." Is it a bad word? I'm sorry. Do I have to put a quarter in the swear jar?"

"No, hon," Kevin answered and Kirstie let out a sigh of relief. She was saving money for a new Barbie doll." Racism is just a hard subject for Daddy."

"Why?" She asked, interested. Scott and Mitch got up from the table and began to look at Kevin with innocent eyes." Why is a hard subject? Is it like math? Did you get a bad grade in it?"

"No," Kevin answered, laughing. He then looked at his children with a somber expression." Do you guys notice how my skin is darker than yours and Papa's?"

The kids shared a look and stared at their skin color and Avi's. Their fair skin was quite the contrast against Kevin's. They nodded, directing their stares back at their father.

"Well, racism is pretty much when somebody hates somebody else for their skin color or race," Kevin began and the three kids gasped sadly. Why would anybody hate their daddy or people like him? "It's when you show disgust towards a person of color because of their nationality. Many people have died because of it; however, people like Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Ruby Bridges, and many others fought against racism. They refused to be brought down because of the fact they have dark skin. Racism is a scary thing that should never be used to hurt someone. Does that make sense?"

The trio all nodded their heads, inspired by their daddy's words. They will never be racist towards anyone, never. Kevin smiled at them and hugged them close, never wanting to let go. Avi smiled warmly at the sweet sight. He them cleared his throat and his family looked at him.

"Kids, you need to finish your homework," Avi began, making his children groan and he began to laugh. Kevin shook his head playfully." It's almost dinnertime and you guys need to eat in order to grow."