What Happened Then

A/N: This one-shot will probably be the most triggering. This will be based on the one-shot 'Meeting the Family'. Read that first if you are interested. Again, this is super triggering, so please be careful.

(WARNINGS: child abuse, violence)

The drive to Visalia was loud. Music is blaring from the radio and two different conversations are going on. Avi and Kevin, the husbands, are talking about treatments for Avi. Recently, he was diagnosed with kidney failure and he had to dialysis. Having three children under the age of ten was and is not easy so the two parents decided to send them to their Aunt Esther's for the summer, which they were excited about. 

Kirstin, age eight, and Scott, age nine, were fighting over who the better singer was; Mariah Carey and Beyoncé. The two kids love music and hope to study music one day! Scott, the oldest, is possibly the most outgoing kid you'll meet. He is also sweet yet clumsy so band aids were always on him. Kirstin, who a bit more quiet than Scott, acted like she was never shy. She loves talking to people. The two continued to fight, making their five yet old brother watch them quietly.

The five year old is Mitchell, Mitch for short. He is the shyest yet kindest person you'll ever meet. He always hid behind his parents when they talk to people and looked down at his feet when people talked to him. He rarely spoke, but when he did, an adorable and squeaky yet quiet voice came out. His parents are deciding whether or not to put him into kindergarten or to homeschool him because of his shyness. One time, he cried because somebody asked him if he wanted a sticker and he didn't know how to respond to it. The question was asked four more times until Mitch finally looked up at Avi and began to sniffle, tears running down his sweet face. Poor thing wanted to go home and play with his toys so he didn't have stay any longer.

The drive itself was actually pretty good...if everybody stayed quiet. The fighting between Kirstin and Scott got louder, which made it seem like the music got louder, until Kevin stopped the car by the gas station that Esther will pick up the kids. The music got turned off and Kevin turned back, glaring at his children. Kirstin and Scott did not stop. They refused to! Then suddenly:

"BE QUIET! YOU GUYS ARE SO RUDE! DO YOU HAVE ANY RESPECT?! HUH? YOUR AUNT ESTHER WILL BE HERE ANY MINUTE NOW AND YOU ACT LIKE THIS?! SERIOUSLY?!"

The children stopped. Whenever Kevin said something like that or yelled, he meant business. The kids shut up, looking up innocently at their angry father. Mitch, not knowing that Kevin was actually talking to his older siblings, began to tear up, which eventually turned into quiet sobs. Avi, who was still in shock of his husband's outrage, heard his youngest son's sobs and felt his heart break. He turned around, seeing his small son wipe his eyes and continue to cry. He's closest to his parents( both in the car and in general) so Avi grabbed his hand gently, his green eyes staring at him lovingly.

"What's the matter, Mitchy?" Avi asked, making his son look up at him, his brown eyes full of tears. Another round of tears came rushing down as let out another sob. "Baby, it's okay. What's the matter?"

"Daddy yelled at me," Mitch finally admitted, sobs coming out once in a while. Kevin's posture then sunk and he turned towards his son, frowning. "I'm sorry, Daddy. I'll be quieter."

"I'm not mad at you," Kevin admitted softly, squeezing his son's small hand and smiling when he tried to squeeze. He looked up at his older children who looked ashamed of their actions. "It's your siblings I was talking about. Now, let me see that Mitchy smile. Come on, Mitch. Where's that Mitchy smile?"

It took a while to persuade him, but Mitch finally let out a smile, despite the tears that are running down his face. His cute little dimples stood out, making his smile seem bigger. His family calls it the 'Mitchy smile' because whenever they were sad, he smiled at them and it made them feel better.