Car Radio

C O N N O R

Have I mentioned how much I hate math? Just the very thought of sitting in a room full of assholes and doing countless equations that I'll never understand makes me wish for death. Which is why I'm happy Troye has that class with me. He's a good distraction from the horrors that take place in the hour of hell.

Now, standing in front of said classroom late like I always am, I feel a tap on my shoulder. I spin around, my eyes landing on a sweater covered chest. I bring my eyes up to the face I've been dreaming about sense he left yesterday. He mouths a hi and I smile in return.

How do I act around him? Do I bring up yesterday, or do I talk about what we're doing today at lunch? Oh! I almost forgot that he's eating lunch with me and my friends today. It kind of scares me to be honest. Troye isn't one to have friends, from what I've seen so far and what I think everyone else has noticed too. I hope my friends like him. I don't want my future husband and my best friends to hate each other, that would suck. I feel my phone buzz in my pocket and I hit my head against Troye's chest as I look down to grab it. I wince and look at him apologetically. He just shrugs. His fault anyway, for standing so close. So I lean my head back down, resting it on his chest again as I read the message.

Mom- everyone's going to Nicolas choir contest today, do you wanna go or stay home alone?

Well that's an easy one. I love staying home alone and that means I can invite Phil over or something. Or maybe even Troye! I type back my reply, sliding my phone back into my pocket. Sighing, I lift my head and look up at the beautiful boy in front of me. He's blushing deeply, which makes me wonder what he's thinking about.

And then comes the awkward silence. I can practically feel the tension rolling off of us as we stand in front the room we're supposed to be in. I rest my eyes on the T on his sweater which I like to imagine stands for Tumblr. He nudges my foot and I'm forced to look up at him.

Slowly, he wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me into him. Which I'm totally okay with. All that awkwardness was making me nervous, so this action kind of reassured me. Well, that and I really like touching him. I can smell his shampoo as I bury my face in his neck, breathing him in. I really love this platonic relationship we've formed in the past few weeks of knowing each other. I wonder how many other boys he's hugged. I wonder how many girls he's hugged. Is he gay? Would it be crossing the platonic friendship line to ask? Is there a line? He pulls back and smiles at me shyly before pointing to the door. I nod in understanding.

Taking a deep breath, I open the door and enter the God forsaken wasteland. I don't look at anybody, just keeping my head down and sitting in my seat next to Troye. The board is surprisingly full today, giving me something to work with. I'm focused on the work in front of me when I feel a nudge. I look to my left to find a headphone being shoved in my face. I take it in my hand and give Troye a bored look. His excited face turns into one of horror.

'I'm so sorry!' He mouths frantically and I just shrug, realizing that he wasn't intending on teasing me. He genuinely forgot about me being Deaf. This makes me happier than it should. I put the headphone in my ear and wait for the tone I'll never hear. He shows me the screen of his phone that's now playing 'Car Radio' by Twenty One-Pilots. I know the band, just not the song. It's probably new. I can feel the beat pulsing in my ear, no doubt the rest of the kids in class can hear it. I sway a little enjoying the way it feels.

I haven't had the courage to pick up my iPod or CD player sense the accident so it's kind of refreshing to have the familiar weight of the headphone in my ear. When the beat stops, I look up confused. Everyone's standing and packing their bags, a different song lighting up his screen. I didn't even know the song was over. He gives me a look of amusement and I shrug, packing up my own bag and exiting the room.