Chapter 9-Does Jessica Stanley Come Into Everything?

The following morning, the six of us drove to school. Edward said that usually when they started a new school, they all went together, but with Rosalie's continued hostility towards me, Edward had driven the two of us in his silver Volvo. I smiled to myself, thinking about how different this was to the first time I went to Forks High. I was a Cullen now. Well, technically I was still Bella Swan, but I was a Cullen at heart now, I belonged to the vampire family that even as a human I loved.

"What are you thinking about Bella?" Edward asked, while driving madly fast.

"I'm surprised this thing still runs after a couple of centuries," I lied.

I didn't particularly want to get into a conversation with Edward about me being a Cullen, and I knew he saw right through me every single time I lied. I had to admit, I didn't like lying to him. Thank god for the glitch in my brain. Oops, I mean my 'shield' as Eleazer and Kate call it, I thought, mentally correcting my own train of thought. I huffed. I was rambling in my own head.

Edward stopped in his usual parking spot, and sped round to open my door for me. I smiled at him and walked over to where Alice and Jasper stood. I frowned. Wasn't Rosalie and Emmett with them?

"No, they went in Rose's car," Alice said.

I rolled my eyes. Having a fortune-teller for a sister could be irritating. Put that together with a mind-reader... I remembered watching Alice and Edward play chess, it was the funniest thing I've ever seen. After about three minutes, Alice knocked over her King and surrendered. There had been a lot of sitting and mind-reading, then sitting and vision-seeing, as Emmett called it. It was hilarious.

"Hey guys!" Emmett screamed from behind us.

Rosalie whacked him on the back of his head and glared at him, although to as playfully as usual. We had gained a lot of stares from the people around us. Emmett would pay.

"Behave Emmett," I snapped, "Act human."

"No fun lil' sis," he said, pouting.

I laughed slightly at him, and then followed Jasper into the office. The lady gave us our timetables, and a map that none of us would use. I compared my timetable to Edward's, and saw that we had the same lessons at the same time, thank god. We had English with Alice and Jasper first, then Calc, Biology, Spanish and...oh great. Gym. Edward would get to see me humiliate myself. Then again, maybe I'd be a little more co-ordinated now I was a vampire. Remaining inconspicuous could prove the greatest challenge.

Edward, Alice, Jasper and myself headed to English, waving goodbye to Emmett and Rosalie. I sat down by Edward, as there didn't seem to be a seating plan, and ignored the stares we were receiving. Edward growled quietly next to me. I rested my hand on his and looked into his eyes.

"What's wrong?" I asked, concerned.

"Those boys behind us have no right to think of you like that," he snarled, too quietly and quickly for anyone else to hear.

"Edward," I said, getting the usual thrill at saying his name, "I only love you. You know that."

He smiled at me briefly, and squeezed my hand. Just then, the teacher came in, so the four of us got up to get our slips signed. Thankfully, he didn't make us introduce ourselves. I sighed, and opened the all-to-familiar textbook, and memorised it in a minute or two, while paying vague attention to what he was saying.

"Miss Swan?" he asked suddenly.

"Conjunctions," I answered automatically, having plenty of room in my head.

I looked up and smiled sweetly at him. I heard Edward chuckle quietly beside me, and had to stop myself laughing at the expression that crossed the teacher's face. He pursed his lips and continued lecturing us on something dull.